Thursday, April 30, 2009

The New Philosophy of KLo--Your Feedback is Respectfully Requested

I had a very clear vision when I started this blog. To recap, "Have you ever just wanted to talk ... about anything? About everything? My new fascination with the whys and hows of virtually everything have led me to create this blog. Please join the conversation : )"

As things have progressed with this blog, many things have happened that I didn't foresee. First, it was not well-read at first. Early posts included thoughts on a short story Stephen King wrote on 9/11, thoughts on Martin Luther King, Jr., and a variety of other rather random thoughts. I wanted desperately to get it organized, to have a common thread.

I have written much about my daughters, including a unintentional philosophical observation from both Addie and Belle. Belle's garden dreams and Addie's trip to Florida were documented here.

And then my writing decided that it wanted to take over the blog. There were still posts about teaching, including focuses on Shakespeare and Edward Murrow, a little competition between classes, and my joy over being on April vacation. However, between posting actual pieces and looking at perspectives from writers such as Stephen King, I've started focusing on writing as a craft as well.

Of course, there was the great pancreatitis debacle (I was a hospital blogger for four or five days ... here, here, here, here, and here.

What's happening, now, though, is that I suddenly have 60 followers. I know that's not a lot in the great scheme of things, but it means that I want this blog to be viable (and I don't mean in a financial way--I mean in a way that brings pleasures to its readers and its writer.

With that in mind, my latest approach has been to bring up sticky subjects as I observe them (or that just come up in my mind), talk about them a little on my terms, and then encourage comments. I love responding to comments. I love conversations. I love reading, writing, and thinking, and this blog is allowing me to just ... revel ... in all of those things.

I guess I'm sort of looking for feedback; since my older posts have zero comments and my newer ones get 10-20 comments apiece, I gather that people are liking what they read. This, then, is my plan--to continue to run this blog as a forum for thoughtful conversation to take place.

I am excited, passionate, and willing to work as hard as I need to in order to see this work. If you have suggestions in general, please feel free to leave them in the comments section. If you have topics you'd like to suggest I address, please e-mail to kloud1026@yahoo.com.

It's been a great journey so far, and I hope we can keep it going. I've been enjoying the blogs I've had the pleasure to read almost as much as I've enjoyed writing my own pieces, so I also feel a need to express a gracious thanks to all of you once again.

<3 KLo

9 comments:

  1. I'm having trouble keeping up with all your posts. I'm overwhelmed. But I do love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a while to get a "feel" for your own blog, then you hit your stride, and finally your blog takes on a life of its own and you're in the zone. At least that' been my experience.

    Love your philosophy on writing, on pondering, on conversing. You've got a good thing going here. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A forum for discussion sounds lively and fun. I like that aspect of Evil Beet and occasionally Sasha's blog. Your insight and wisdom would add a great perspective to any issue.

    Honestly, I could read anything you put out there, because I enjoy your writing. Regardless of where you go, I'll be here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're fulfilling your original aim of talking about anything and everything. We're all joining in now and fulfilling another part of your goal.

    Like most things creative, it takes a while to get noticed. Some things reach a tipping point, or a critical mass if you like, and explode (Harry Potter for example).

    You've just exploded...metaphorically of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading your blog. I think the difference in the amount of followers in the beginning and now is probably due to your writing interest.

    now most people see you as a writer, and they are interested in listening to other parts of your life. Before that, it was just about a life of someone we don't know.

    at least that's been my experience. I have two blogs, one is about writing which has got 24 followers in one month, and the other one is about random musings, which has got 3.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the blogs that want interaction so of course the discussion portion is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't get to see the early explosion of your blog, when you first jumped onto the scene. Having said that, I can't imagine not stopping by your blog at least once a day to check things out. You are fun, you're content is enjoyable, and (of course) I'm proud to call you my friend. Your content choices reflect your personality. The question is, do you want your blog to be about your personality, your writing, all of the above? I think it reflects the last choice, and I'm happy for that. Its good reading, and I wouldn't change it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your blog! It is lovely. And you have fun posts (although I can't possibly keep up with them all, sorry). Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all so much for the feedback, and thank you for your comments (and kind words). I learn so much from all of you every day : )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...