Sunday, July 24, 2011

Amy Winehouse, The 27 Club, and the "Crazy Artist" Mystique


I don't think anyone's all that surprised to hear that Amy Winehouse has died at a far-too-young age.

I suspect there are even some cynics that consider her death an attempt--either intentionally or subconsciously--to become a member of the so-called "27 Club", an exclusive group of gifted musicians who all died at the far-too-young age of 27.

Kurt Cobain, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix ... Amy Winehouse?

There's no question that Amy Winehouse was a talented, arguably brilliant singer and songwriter.  Her death--currently "unexplained" but almost certainly drug-related--is a loss for the world of music, where Winehouse paved the way to a degree for the excesses of performers like Lady Gaga and reintroduced a jazz element into mainstream music.

I should note that one thing that really ticked me off about the media coverage of Amy Winehouse's death is that it got top billing over the horrible attacks in Norway, but that's a tangent I don't feel compelled to say any more about yet because I'm still kind of reeling.

But anyway, back to Amy Winehouse.

I was reminded of a poem by Anne Sexton called "To a Friend Whose Work Has Come to Triumph", a piece that always reminds me of Cobain and Joplin, of Marilyn Monroe and Elvis Presley, of Sylvia Plath and J.D. Salinger.

Consider Icarus, pasting those sticky wings on,
testing that strange little tug at his shoulder blade,
and think of that first flawless moment over the lawn
of the labyrinth. Think of the difference it made!
There below are the trees, as awkward as camels;
and here are the shocked starlings pumping past
and think of innocent Icarus who is doing quite well.
Larger than a sail, over the fog and the blast
of the plushy ocean, he goes. Admire his wings!
Feel the fire at his neck and see how casually
he glances up and is caught, wondrously tunneling
into that hot eye. Who cares that he fell back to the sea?
See him acclaiming the sun and come plunging down
while his sensible daddy goes straight into town.
There's an almost stereotypical image of artists (musicians, painters, sculptors, actors, writers, and so on) as being, shall we say, unstable.  In other words, he or she is just a "crazy artist", so there's no explanation for his or her actions.

As a writer myself, I think there's probably a kernel of truth to this.

No, I don't believe that artists are crazy.  However, there is an unquestionably high correlation of traumatic events, of challenges faced from an early age, substance abuse, learning disabilities (and even more so, twice exceptional status), victims of bullying, and so on and so forth among those of us drawn to artistic expression.  

As Anne Sexton points out in her poem, the mythological Icarus took a chance and soared to amazing, dizzying, heart-stopping heights.  He saw things that most of us never will.  Short-lived as it was, Icarus had one hell of a ride.

So did Amy Winehouse.

Do you think it was worth it to her?

18 comments:

  1. Perhaps - but that's no consolation to her devastated parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been a fan of Amy Winehouse or her music; however, 27 is far too young. I am, however, sad for her friend and family - who obviously treasured her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was the trouble with Amy Winehouse, or with the agents/record companies/media outlets who reported on her life instead of her music? There will now be a lot of people looking to make as much money out of her death as they did during her life.

    Would a real friend have allowed her to self-destruct in the public eye?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i find it really sad, that any one's life is snuffed out so young, regardless of the circumstances...yes i know she made her own choices, but life in many ways too dictates...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure she had a choice. Either to sing or abuse, but you know that. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @B: So sad :(

    @Jabblog: I know, I can't imagine what they're going through. Death is hard enough to deal with outside of the public eye, but to have it rubbed in your face ... :(

    @Pixie: I think they must have absolutely treasured her, and I can so relate to the horrors of having to watch her die a little at a time from addiction.

    @Martin: Her music was definitely underrated. If you didn't know Amy Winehouse was singing it, you wouldn't know Amy Winehouse (of tabloid cover fame) was singing it, if that makes any sense.

    @Brian: Sometimes I think we don't have as much choice as it seems like we do.

    @Bud: Sing or abuse ... or both. And maybe that's why her flame burned so high and so brightly ... and why it's especially sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't one of her fans, and although I had heard her name, I don't remember hearing her music. But 27 is too young to die. God have mercy on her and bring comfort to those who love her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always so sad to see someone die so young. She was certainly a tortured soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Call me a heartless bastard, but I don't really care all that much about Amy Winehouse, but I do care about you, if only in small part because I'm on your blog roll, and I love attention.

    Here's what I really think: try not to feel like a fool for writing about what moves you.

    I never do, even when I probably should.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We listened to Amy at our house and loved her soulful lyrics. She had a few demons and for whatever reasons couldn't control her vices. We will miss her for her beautiful voice.

    As to your other about to be a tangent-I always think it is horrible when celeb news out

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you about not being happy concerning publicity and Norway. You would think the lost of a ton of lives would be highlighted as opposed to ONE. Hmph. She was great but still.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Norway story made more news here in Australia than the singer's death. It's sad when a family loses their battle to save someone they care about. Hopefully her younger audience will take the message that drugs devastate lives.
    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a big surprise, given her choice of lifestyle, but still a shame nonetheless, and a shining example why one of my most repeated life-mantas is: "Learn from the mistakes of others."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think she was too stoned to appreciate her wild ride.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No disrespect to the deceased, but she was so far outside the level of Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, and Cobain.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...