Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Stealing: The Twenty-Fiver Meme

Hit up Sunday Stealing ... it's a great weekly event to look forward to :-)

1.      1. Tell us about something that made you laugh last night.
I was writing a piece for Zelda Lily about this crazy mother that took her thirteen-year-old daughter (plus two of her daughter's friends) with her when she went and left two bags of dog crap and a profanity-laced note on the doorstep of a kid her daughter was having issues with.   

The sheer absurdity of the situation had me alternating between laughing and crying.

2. What were you doing at 8 PM last night?
Trying to figure out why Blogger wasn't letting me blog ... it wouldn't save anything I typed in the body of a post, and I was getting really annoyed.  I finally gave up for the night, but same thing happened this morning.  Grrrr.

So I figured I'd abandon Firefox in lieu of Google Chrome to see if that helped, and ... well, you're reading this, right ;)?

3. What were you doing 30 minutes ago?
Drinking coffee, cursing Firefox, and trying to convince my mom to go to the emergency room.

Okay, here's the story.  I staggered into the kitchen this morning and, before I'd had any coffee, my mom says, "I think I have a corneal abrasion" (I'm pretty sure that's what she said ... she's a nurse practitioner and sometimes forgets that I know nothing about the medical world).

I guess she'd gotten a scratch on her eye while picking blueberries last night.  It must have hurt a lot, because my mother is not a complainer about physical ailments.  Anyway, I finally convinced her to go to the ER and get it looked it.

Shockingly, she listened ... like I said, it must have hurt a lot.

4. What happened to you in 2006? (Feel free to republish an old post from '06.)
2006 was probably the year that the seeds were sown for Pythagorus to become an alcoholic. 

Pythagorus had a really crappy childhood (REALLY crappy, but the details of which are not something I would ever share), and he compensated by excelling in school.  He was the salutatorian of his graduating class and received all sorts of Presidential Scholar Awards when he was in college and so on.

Like many abused and tormented children, Pythagorus never dealt with the things that happened to him.  He buried them deeply and went through life with a facade of success.  He also felt a strong need to help out those he saw as "suffering".

In 2006, he stood up for people that he saw as being mistreated at their job by a power hungry tyrant of a boss.  He wasn't inaccurate in this assessment, but he was sort of foolish.  He was not given a contract for the next year.

In other words, the guy who had succeeded at everything had gotten fired.  That it had nothing to do with his job performance (and it didn't--he truly was one of the best) and everything to do with an SOB with a Napoleon complex flexing his muscles doesn't really matter.

But I think that experience reminded Pythagorus of the adult bullies that destroyed his childhood.  I think it dredged up some memories, and once they started coming, nothing could stop them ...

Except wine.  A lot of wine.  And I guess that's the anatomy of an alcoholic, as I understand it.

5. What was the last thing you said out loud?
"I cannot believe you slept in until 9:30!" (to Belle, who in general thinks 6:30 is sleeping in) 


6. How many beverages did you have today?
Two cups of coffee and SoBe Lifewater (black cherry dragonfruit ... what the heck is dragonfruit, anyway?) 

7. What color is your hairbrush?
I have two, one purple and one gray and black. 

8. What was the last thing you paid for?
Soup for Addie. 

9. Where were you last night?
Home fighting with my computer and reading a book. 

10. What color is your front door?
Blue.  I think it's called "colonial blue" or something ... I don't know, my mother's all Williamsburg obsessed.  You should see the curtains! 

11. Where do you keep your change?
In the cupholders of my car.  There's much overflowage, which I guess means I should roll coins or something, make a deposit into Addie's college account. 

12. What’s the weather like today?
Hot and sticky.  Again.  The weatherman has got to stop lying about when this yucky stretch is going to end. 

13. What’s the best ice-cream flavor?
I actually don't like ice cream all that much, but I occasionally indulge in Ben and Jerry's combination of chocolate chip cookie dough and chocolate fudge brownie.  Mmmmmmmm :-) 

14. What excites you?
Good times. 

15. Do you want to cut your hair?
Yes, actually.  The last time I got it cut, the hairdresser left it way too long in the back and made the layers way too short ... if I wear it down and don't go through the whole blow-dry/straighten/excessive hair supply routine (and this is so not me), it kind of looks like a mullet.  Thanks for reminding me to make an appointment ... with a different hairdresser ;) 

16. Are you over the age of 35?
Nope :-)   

17. Do you talk a lot?
Yes, I often do ... stupid ADHD ;-).   

18. Do you watch Franklin and Bash?
Uh ... who?

19. Do you know anyone named Steven?
I know a lot of people named Steven.  

One of the occupational hazards of being a teacher is knowing someone with pretty much any name.  When I was pregnant with Belle, it was horrible trying to find a name that I didn't automatically associate with a former student.

I've actually had three students with Belle's real name, but she has kind of an unusual nickname derived from her name that is not common.

20. Do you make up your own words?
Oh, yes ... particularly derivatives of the f-word.  It's kind of entertaining to fit it into every part of speech as well as the pluperfect tense and such ;) 

21. Are you a jealous person?
No, I'm really not.  I get really annoyed by inequality (like when people at work get ahead based on how they look in a skirt rather than the quality of their abilities), but it's not really "jealousy", just irritation. 

22. What does the last text message you received say?
"Not alone."  Haha, have fun figuring that one out ;-) 

23. Where’s the next place you’re going to?
Not sure ...I might well not leave the house at all today since I've got to plan the week for summer school, read, write, soak up the AC.  I'll probably go walk on the beach, and I usually end up at the store for some reason or another. 

24. Who’s the rudest person in your life?
Pythagorus, without a question. 

The big drama this week involved him wanting me to drive Belle to the town he lives in (two hours away on a good day, but it's a resort town, so it's more like three in the summer, so we're talking at least six hours round trip) and then acting like I was being a jerk when I asked for gas money.  

I mean, it is not my fault that he got yet another DWI, and his assumption that I have any obligation to transport Belle halfway across the state to visit him is just ... rude.  Rude and insensitive.

This is especially noteworthy because Belle had already expressed not wanting to spend extensive time in the car (not her favorite thing to do).  

25. Are you crushing on anyone that you shouldn't be?
Nah, I'm not crushing on anyone ... just waiting around rather impatiently for Mr. Right to show up ;)

12 comments:

  1. I hope your mom's eye stops giving her grief, and I'm glad she listened to you. My mom can be very stubborn about such matters, too. And I hope you get your hair cut soon. That routine you describe sounds like a drag in this hot, humid weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Gal: She's not back yet, but I'm glad she went, too. Regarding the hair, I'm far too uncomplicated to go through that kind of regime ... I wear a lot of ponytails ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give your mum my regards, and enjoy the AC. Not something we have over the pond as we rarely get any weather that needs it. Heating yes. The sun's out today and lots of people are desperately trying to get a tan from it before ot goes away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't watch Franklin & Bash? It's been on almost a month. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, not that I want to be dating now (at 41), I'm very happy (well, mostly!) in my marriage, but I think it is soooo much easier to date in your 30s than your 20s, and I sometimes think that if something were to happen, that it would be a breeze to date in my 40s. Men are so much less of a mystery now - when it comes down to it, they are simple creatures, but I never realized that before. I haven't read the "Mr. Right" post (and remember, Depp is MINE MINE MINE!), but if you want to be paired, be proactive. I've got lots of girlfriends in small NE towns who are suddenly single in their 30s, and we all kind of gab on a girls' board, so I get to hear their trials and trevails. Not that it's easy, but it can be done, and done with flair and fun! And besides, you ROCK!

    re: making up derivations of the "f" word, my favorite aunt is very sick. She is not old, only 50 or so, but is kind of prudish, so when she texted me yesterday that she had gotten pneumonia on top of getting an emergency pacemaker yesterday, I texted her "phuck". She texted back that she liked the spelling. I then proceeded to tell the story of how when I was living in Japan and was kind of stupid, and was booking a trip to Thailand. I was working with a Japanese travel agent who spoke a little tiny bit of English, and I spoke a little tiny bit of Japanese. I wanted to go to Bangkok first (OMG, go if you ever get the chance), and then to Phuket. Which I thought was pronounced, yes, phu-kit. I must have said it that way a bajilion times, and either the travel agent was too polite (love Japanese politeness!), or she really didn't realize what I was saying, but when I actually boarded the plane and heard where we were going, I just about died. I had been telling all my state-side friends about the trip, using the same pronunciation, and we had been giggling about it for months.
    Anyway, stupid long story, but Phuket will always be my favorite Thai destination, even if it was mostly destroyed in the tsunami.
    Fin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Martin: My plane phobia might have just faded down another notch ;)

    @Bud: WATCH it? I've never even heard of it! I probably should watch television ... I miss a lot of pop culture references this way ;)

    @AZ Harveys: I <3 you :-) You're right, you know what you're looking for when you're 30, but there seems to be a serious shortage of single men in the northeast. Or else I'm a lot less appealing than I think I am ;) Oh, and uh, Depp? I didn't bother mentioning him on this meme because I freaking OWN HIM ;) Furthermore, I MUST go to a town called Phuket ... I would seriously text, Tweet, FB, whatever, "I'm in Phuket", "Oh, Phuket", "I told the cab driver, 'Phuket'" and so on ... the possibilities are endless :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stopping by and reading the stories you provide. You have such a vast outlook and understanding of things, except dragonfruit. haha

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mr. Lance: Check your e-mail. And WHAT IS DRAGONFRUIT???? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your answers and hope your mum is ok. Can also empathise about wondering when Mr Right is gonna turn up! However, while reading through all those great answers, the only visual I have in my head is a paper bag on someone's doorstep filled with crap! And yes, I sniggered :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry Blogger's been giving you crap. I hate that. Funny that Chrome worked for you. I have MORE problems when I use Chrome than when I use FF.

    Hee hee! It's quite amazing when my kids sleep in. They, too generally are up by 6:30 or so. And they never let me know when they're planning on sleeping in so I can, too! ;-)

    I'm with you on the names. I worked at a preschool/daycare center for a few years, and there were many good names we had to nix for our kids as a result! LOL

    Umm ... I have no idea who Pythagorus is ... but, um, sorry he's so rude! (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Out my faculty office window I can see Bldg 2 with a space to the left where dragonfruits are growing in huge dragon-encrusted pots. And Phuket is not very far away :)

    It's great your mom listened to you. Mine never does.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you checked out my meme? If not, come take a stab at the questions: http://wtfweeklymeme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...