Saturday, July 16, 2011

Living With Learning Disabilities as an Adult

There is a basic assumption that I am intelligent because
a) I'm a teacher
b) I have an advanced graduate degree
c) I'm a writer (not prolific, true, but one of these days ...)

This is kind of a difficult topic for me to get into because it crosses into the personal more than I'm necessarily comfortable with, but I strongly believe that this is a topic that is under-addressed in society.

I found out when I was a junior in high school, after eleven years of public education, having my IQ tested numerous times (it's in the "superior" range, but I miss out on "genius" by a few points ;-)), and being dismissed as lazy and academically apathetic by virtually all of my teachers, that I have two specific learning disabilities. Several years later, ADHD was added to the mix.

I never had an IEP (special education plan) because my mother did not want me to be enabled. Her philosophy was that life was not going to make accommodations to my disabilities, so I might as well get used to it. Furthermore, I was pretty much about to graduate high school by the time anything would have been in place, so what was the point?

My disabilities were identified through an assessment done at Children's Hospital in Boston, and I cannot say enough good things about that experience. The staff there gave me specific ways that I could take control of both my education and my life (such as recording teacher lectures with a tape recorder, taking tests in silent locations, and so on), and I was a straight-A student my senior year of high school (good thing, too, considering the spotty transcript that preceded that year).

What I had that many students with disabilities don't is an exceptional strength that offset the weaknesses to a degree that I could function to some degree. In my case, of course, it was in the area of reading and, even more so, writing.

I could write an essay about something that I had no idea about, and my teachers would read them aloud as gold standards. I always felt a little guilty about this, but it was how things rolled.

I also have a quasi-photographic visual memory, which has probably been an even greater boon. If I see something, I will remember it with almost total recall, which is kind of a cool skill, I suppose. I am the master of the game Memory ;)

As an educator, I know that there is a label for students like I was--"twice exceptional", which basically means that I had both disabilities and areas of incredible strength.

But my intent with this post isn't to talk about my educational experiences, which would be, I suppose, kind of an interesting post in its own right and might happen one of these days.

No, it's to contemplate how my abilities, much as I know and understand them, have impacted me as an adult. This is an important discussion, I think, because schools today are actually really quick to identify students as disabled, to mass produce IEPs and 504 plans that provide what amounts to "blanket coverage" to ensure a degree of success in school but does not necessarily prepare a disabled child for real life.

I can't speak to a lot of disabilities, but I can bring up the three areas that I have personal experience with.

#1: Auditory Processing

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my hearing, per se, but I miss a lot of what I "hear" because there is a crossed wire (or something) in my brain that doesn't allow me to process what I hear.

This is one of the reasons that I avoid the telephone. It's not that I don't want to talk to people, but if there is any sort of background noise whatsoever (other people talking, the television being on, even something as simple as a fan or a car's engine), I'll more often than not let an incoming call go to voice mail.

It's kind of embarrassing to say, "What?" every time someone else talks.

I also have a tendency to avoid loud crowds of people for the same reason. I have to really struggle to follow conversations (I learned some lip reading through the staff at Children's, but I'm not great at it), and sometimes it's just not worth the trouble.

What I most enjoy, though, is that most professional development offered to teachers is of the "stand and deliver" school of thought. If I don't have something visual to follow, it's sort of like being back in history class listening as hard as I could to a lecture that went in one ear and out the other.

I am not a quiet person by any means (heh heh), but I often come off this way to people I first meet because I am very aware of my auditory processing issue and don't want to be remembered as the chick who kept saying, "What?! Say again, please? What did you say?"

#2: Spatial

Perhaps ironically when you consider my exceptional visual memory, I have virtually no spatial skills.

My mother is very into moving furniture around, for example, and she'll say, "What if we moved this coffee table there and swapped the couch and the loveseat around?" then get very frustrated when I explain that I can't visualize it.

In fact, she'll often try to draw me a map, which makes the situation even worse.

I cannot read maps. I have absolutely no sense of direction--I still get lost in my hometown, and while it qualifies as a city, it's not exactly huge. I think Mapquest, with its breakdown of how many miles you're on each road, is one of the best inventions ever.

I live on a state road that runs all the way to the beach. I once asked my mother if a certain city that was also on "Route 69" meant going east or west. She looked at me as though I was dumb and said, "Um ... what happens if you go east all the way to the end?" When I looked at her blankly, she elaborated, "You hit the ocean. If you don't want to go to the beach, you'd go the other way. That would be west." This was about six months ago.

And then, of course, there's math, which is virtually impossible if you have essentially no spatial skills. How do you explain the concept of a coefficient to someone that doesn't understand numbers? I walked into Algebra I thinking that X meant multiply.

When I took the GRE before applying for grad school, the results were almost funny. Almost. Verbal: 91st (I think ... it was ninety-something) %ile. Analytical: 75th %ile. Math: 3rd %ile. Third. That's kind of embarrassing ... but I was accepted to graduate school and maintained an A average, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

But when my students ask me to help them with math and I just look blankly at the problem, when I'm trying to calculate how many weeks away the first day of school is and I literally need a calendar in front of me to accomplish this, when I get lost on my way to the next town over ...

#3: ADHD
ADHD, perhaps the most misdiagnosed conditions in the world, is probably the condition that most identifies me as a person. Like, my ADHD is kind of a schoolwide joke at work.

Like most adults with ADHD, I
* live in a state of organized chaos. My desk at work, for example, is a landmark ... yet I have the distinction of being a teacher known for not losing student work.
* cannot sit in a meeting for extended periods of time without resorting to annoying habits like tapping my feet, moving around like I have ants in my pants, sitting backwards and sideways in chairs, shuffling papers around, and so on.
* have a fairly extensive history of impulsive, self-destructive behavior. I cannot say no to a dare, for example, because I'll be doing whatever I've been dared to do before my brain says, "Whoa, this is maybe not such a great idea" ... but I've gotten better about this.
* self-medicate (it's caffeine these days, which is far better than some past bad habits)
* need to multi-task, almost to a fault
* hyper-focus on certain things to calm myself down(I learned from a very young age to almost hypnotize myself through the act of reading)
* struggle with finishing what I've started. I have made tremendous progress in this area, but it still exists.
* am either adored (because I'm funny and endearing and goofy and all that) or the source of frustration (because I'm not always serious and am often loud and goofy and need to be reminded to get things done and such)
* am kind of a good time.

Although my disabilities have been the source of a great deal of frustration throughout my life, they are as much a part of who I am as anything else. I've reached a point where I like who I am in general, and I would not be me, the kind of person who enjoys the odd whipped cream fight and appreciates the better parts of myself all the more because of my deficiencies, if I was "normal" (which does not, in my opinion, exist anyway).
Uh ... squirrel!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 comments:

  1. This kind of self-awareness is valuable. Sometimes I think I have ADD. However, more often I just think that I just have too much on my plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although not diagnosed, there is a suspicion of Aperger's in me. However, as I have learnt to adapt over the last half century it's diificult to come to any firm conlcusions...according to doctors.

    There is also the opinion that there is 'disability' and 'disability'. The first is a life affecting disability that seriously impairs your life, the other is a difference that the rest of the world has trouble with.

    ADHD and Asperger's would fall into the later category. They're not disabling but they are a problem for the rest of the population who cannot understand why 'we' are not like 'them'.

    Everyone with a 'disability(2)' has superpowers in certain areas, but are judged as disabled.

    We are what we are and it's usually others that have the problem, not the disabled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. Despite Asperger's I have an IQ that qualified me to join MENSA. Not boasting, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your final thought on there not being any normal got me thinking, and I think I have ASD, or Attention Surplus Disorder. When I want to stop thinking about something, I can't stop focusing on it, and I think this has largely been to my detriment. Sometimes I just sit around in one place thinking for hours over something most people would have dismissed and moved on from after a few moments.

    It's funny, when they started diagnosing children with learning disabilities, I wonder if they put any thought into whether or how treatment would continue into adulthood. It makes you wonder how many people in past generations were just written off as failures because they never got any of the assistance they needed to cope, or whether people just found their own individual ways of getting by without any realization that there was other people going through the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a teacher and sometimes wonder about the fine line between being weak in an area and being identified as exceptional. I don't pretend ever to have grasped this distinction.

    I have a hearing problem these days and although my aids seem to bring the volume up to appropriate level, I miss things -- like the punch line (not necessarily referring to jokes). I don't know if it's really a hearing problem or a processing problem. I almost give up on following song lyrics, for example. I don't think I used to have this problem, so I don't know what to think.

    I recently took an online test for autism. While I am not autistic, I predicted that I would be further along the continuum than the average joe. I was right.

    The workings of the mind are fascinating.

    Thanks for visiting my blog btw. We're very photo oriented these days but have been known to throw a thoughtful piece into the mix every decade or so.

    http://anvilcloud.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for visiting my blog, I am glad it was interesting for your daughter and I hope she enjoys Brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sparkle! I see some of me in your post. :) I have never been diagnosed but my behavior suggest ADHD too. I can check every one of your list on that one. My boyfriend also has auditory processing issues. It has taken a while for me to figure this out, he doesn't easily talk about it. But he's a sweetie and definitely worth me doing the figuring over. Thanks for coming by and commenting, I really like what I've found on your blog so far. See ya soon! AccidentallyAngela.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice...first thanks for being real about it...i enjoyed your observations...i do counseling with kids with a wide range of diagnosis....many ADHD, ODD, Autism Spectrum...too many to list...and one thing that i always work on is a healthy perspective of it and realising it is part of what makes them special...great read....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fascinating about the Auditory Processing one. I have that same problem with background noises and hearing people's words. I tend to go with the "smile and nod." I didn't realize it could be a learning disability. And don't get me started if I'm reading a book or watching tv. I hear nothing if I'm focusing on something else. It's rather terrible to the people trying to talk to me. I really hate phone too because I'm afraid I won't hear what the person has to say and have to ask "what?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my God! Just read this and it explained so much bout me. I have an IQ that enables me to join MENSA. My maths skills are considered crap because I do not figure things out the way am 'supposed' to, so therefore fail at writtem maths exams. I have Auditory Processing problems; stick me on a dinner party table and I'm lost, can't figure out what peopple are saying as I hear them all but understand no one. I cannot read if I can hear music,TV. people talking etc.
    Thanks, KLo.
    Jane xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmmmm....i seem to have quite a few characteristics of adhd... and..when i read your saturday 7/16 post and saw the long list, my eyes just glazed over.

    interesting post. i sometimes wish i had photographic memory, it would have come in handy many times!!!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...