Friday, May 1, 2009

Amazing People in Random Locations

I am very blessed to have some remarkable people in my life. My family comes first, of course, then my friends. I have mentioned on several occasions now the great fortune I've had of getting to know some truly amazing people through this blog and others that I follow.

One group that constantly surprises me, pleases me, makes me more proud that I can put into words, though, are the amazing students that I have. I don't know why it is--if I won some magical teacher lottery--but I've always had memorable, smart, funny, good-hearted, loyal, kind, and (in general) willing to work hard students. They make my job less a job and more a pleasurable way to spend a day.

Sometimes I'll say to my friends, "I can't believe I get paid for analyzing literature and writing essays with children!" Sometimes I feel guilty because I take so very much pleasure in my job.

The one downfall I can think of is that I can't really talk about specific kids (even with pseudonyms, that would be crossing some sort of moral line with me). There are a few very special kids that will always be close to my heart that have made an appearance or two in my posts, but none are my students anymore.

The kids I have now ... amazing people in a random location. Who would have expected to have your life changed, your happiness level bumped up exponentially, by a bunch of high school freshman that occasionally still need the deodorant lecture?

So when have you found amazing people in random, unexpected locations? Or even other people who have changed your life?

Positive thoughts for a Friday : ) : ) : )

9 comments:

  1. Aww... I'm glad you won the teacher lottery! Congrats on a year well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need more great and passionate high school teachers! I found the same sort of inspiration in my young special needs students. Talk about leaving a void.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shouldn't feel guilty, that's what life is about- happiness! Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way about teaching!!! Couldn't believe they paid me to have fun everyday! Bravo! You're a dynamo for sure!!!! Have a wonderful weekend! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where have I met them? All over the place.

    - They pick up my wallet when I drop it...and hand it back.
    - They join in the joke when the shop queue's going nowhere
    - They smile when I'm doing daft things in public with my boys
    - Amazing people are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't think those kids won't remember you too! I still go back to high school for every break and visit/have lunch with a bunch of my teachers. They're all wonderful people.

    The world is full of great people. You only have to look around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. T.Anne--Thanks, but no congrats are necessary...the pleasure is completely mine, which is a new and strange feeling : )

    Angie--I could never work with young special needs students (my patience is suited to surly and hormonal high school thugs : )) I think you must be a very special person!

    Terminal--I think I have a guilty conscience ... it is kind of backwards to apologize for being happy, isn't it? I'll have to work on that : )

    Janine--It is SO MUCH fun : )

    Martin--You have the right outlook on things : ) I aspire to be more like you!

    Roses--I bet that means the world to your former teachers! Many of my former students are (gulp) in college now, and it makes me so proud and happy whenever I see them : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Teenagers! They are by far my favorite type of people to teach things to. When I'm directing plays or teaching dance or speaking to, they are by far the most exciting, fun group to have around me! You're so lucky! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am grateful each and every day : ) : ) : )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...