Friday, May 1, 2009

Why Bad Music is Good for the Soul

For whatever reason, I have long been a fan of what my brother Adam refers to as "Velveeta Singles", better known as the cheesiest songs ever. My day was made yesterday (and I'm not even joking, embarrassing as this is to admit) when "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco randomly came on when I was listening to my iPod on the way to work. Like, made my day : )

I should probably explain that Addie, Pythagorus, and I share an iTunes library (and even Belle has some songs on there, although I don't categorize anything by The Wiggles or the multiple renditions of "On Top of Spaghetti" to fall under the "Velveeta Singles" umbrella--nope, those are just bad). We all have our playlists, of course, but songs by Panic! At the Disco, Tokio Hotel, Madina Lake, My Chemical Romance, and Fergie (Addie) and Jimmy Buffet, Van Morrison, and Richard Marx (Pythagorus) are technically on my iPod. I'd lent my iPod to a student in a study hall, and they'd gotten out of my playlist (I can't imagine why ;)) and ventured into the wild world of my family's music.

So anyway, Falco came on and rocked Amadeus (and me) all the way to work (I have to alter my playlist, by the way ... I cannot imagine how that truly amazing song didn't make it on in the first place). Things then moved on to a random sampling of Skid Row, Vanilla Ice, Meat Loaf, Bon Jovi, Tupac, Chicago, Pearl Jam, Queen, Alanis Morrisette, The Clash, Celine Dion (can't believe I just admitted that one :)), The Eagles, U2, The Cure, and Nirvana, to name a few (to say that I have eclectic taste in music is an understatement). However, I found myself singing "Rock me Amadeus" all day instead of, say "Hotel California", which is clearly and without a doubt a better song.

All right, I'm stating for the record that "Rock Me Amadeus" is the most embarrassing song I love to hate, my ultimate Velveeta Single. What's Falco's competition (in other words, what song makes you cringe and sing loud and proud, all at the same time)?

My iPod needs some fresh blood : )

12 comments:

  1. I have few like that...Carpenters, Black Lace (Agadoo), Cliff Richard as well as the obligatory(?) Celine Dion.

    Nothing wrong with cheese. It's great with pickle between two slices of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you're fabulous!!!!!!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only Celine Dion fan(?) willing to admit it. Yeah, cheese definitely adds to life : ) : ) : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot resist Katrina and the Waves "Walking on Sunshine" despite every fiber in my being telling me I should. It's just too high-energy and catchy. Same with Kenny Loggins "Footloose", which I'm twice as horrified to admit. And don't even get me started on Hanson... If questioned, I will disavow all knowledge of this message.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lose your blues, Chris : ) Those are priceless songs (notice I'm not mentioning Hanson). You crack me up : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toto's "Africa"! It's terrible but I really like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Agreed! Although I have to ask, do you have a clue what it means to bless the rains down in Africa?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I LOVE Celine Dion! LOL! she rocks.. I happen to also like a bunch of your other songs. I love how they just instantly transport you to another state of mind, it's awesome! LOVE Music! fun post! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are too funny. You have Celine Dion on your iPod?! *gasp* Just kidding!

    You know what? I love 'rock me Amadeus' too. And don't get me started on 'Jeanny'. I just know every single word of that song. Even the German chorus.
    But I go wild when I hear 'wild boys' by duran duran.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, don't feel bad. You'd be surprised, as a fitness instructor, the crap that gets me excited to exercise. I can't even type it, it's so embarrassing. Let's just say I wish it was Celine Dion (and I'm with you. She's catchy. I'll admit it.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so enjoying this : ) (especially the part where I'm not the only person that listens to Celine Dion in private ... I thought that was going to be a to-the-grave secret, but now I'm just going to freaking embrace it : ))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummm, 'Rock Me Amadeus' is not Velveeta. :) It rocks! It's up there with Men At Work's 'You Can Dance If You Want To'. :D Although I rarely if ever listen to the radio (since it all sucks), I do enjoy various songs by various people I wouldn't sing along with in mixed company. :) (e.g., among other things mentioned...Velveeta himself Bryan Adams - although not on my iPod)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All right, true confession time: Bryan Adams is all over my iPod. Haha : ), thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...