Friday, May 1, 2009

Why Bad Music is Good for the Soul

For whatever reason, I have long been a fan of what my brother Adam refers to as "Velveeta Singles", better known as the cheesiest songs ever. My day was made yesterday (and I'm not even joking, embarrassing as this is to admit) when "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco randomly came on when I was listening to my iPod on the way to work. Like, made my day : )

I should probably explain that Addie, Pythagorus, and I share an iTunes library (and even Belle has some songs on there, although I don't categorize anything by The Wiggles or the multiple renditions of "On Top of Spaghetti" to fall under the "Velveeta Singles" umbrella--nope, those are just bad). We all have our playlists, of course, but songs by Panic! At the Disco, Tokio Hotel, Madina Lake, My Chemical Romance, and Fergie (Addie) and Jimmy Buffet, Van Morrison, and Richard Marx (Pythagorus) are technically on my iPod. I'd lent my iPod to a student in a study hall, and they'd gotten out of my playlist (I can't imagine why ;)) and ventured into the wild world of my family's music.

So anyway, Falco came on and rocked Amadeus (and me) all the way to work (I have to alter my playlist, by the way ... I cannot imagine how that truly amazing song didn't make it on in the first place). Things then moved on to a random sampling of Skid Row, Vanilla Ice, Meat Loaf, Bon Jovi, Tupac, Chicago, Pearl Jam, Queen, Alanis Morrisette, The Clash, Celine Dion (can't believe I just admitted that one :)), The Eagles, U2, The Cure, and Nirvana, to name a few (to say that I have eclectic taste in music is an understatement). However, I found myself singing "Rock me Amadeus" all day instead of, say "Hotel California", which is clearly and without a doubt a better song.

All right, I'm stating for the record that "Rock Me Amadeus" is the most embarrassing song I love to hate, my ultimate Velveeta Single. What's Falco's competition (in other words, what song makes you cringe and sing loud and proud, all at the same time)?

My iPod needs some fresh blood : )