Sunday, April 19, 2009

Breaking Ground on the Garden

Yes, I'm the person breaking ground on the garden. I pretty much can't believe it, either.

I'm a huge fan of nature, obviously, and I love being outside and going for walks and looking around and taking it all in. The fact that I could contribute in my own small way never really occurred to me before.

Belle and I spent an hour or so outside raking, weeding, picking up several years' worth of crap (dead leaves, half-broken shoots, a couple of pieces of literal crap from my mom's dog), and turning over clods of dirt a little bit at a time in the old garden. Belle for some reason brought washcloths and sand buckets, but she was actually a lot more helpful than I thought she would be.
Anyway, my hands are dirty and my clothes are covered with earth and weed remnants and my hair is beyond ridiculous, but I feel cleaner than I've felt in a long time.

What is it about being outside that makes everything seem so much better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...