Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday Quickwrite Quote from Edward R. Murrow

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I give my students a quote to which they have two minutes to respond, then we have a whole class discussion where we end up in some very interesting places. I'm going to try to post the quotes I give my students with my own responses.

Quote: "The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer." (Edward R. Murrow)

My two-minute Quickwrite response:
It's funny to think about things that are unclear or vague being easier to see than things that are right in front of your nose. I guess it's kind of like the difference between "street smart" and "book smart". I, for example, have absolutely no common sense, but there are very few pieces of literature I can't analyze and not much I can't write. Except poems : )

Conversation?