Thursday, March 12, 2009

Thursday Quickwrite Quote from Edward R. Murrow

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I give my students a quote to which they have two minutes to respond, then we have a whole class discussion where we end up in some very interesting places. I'm going to try to post the quotes I give my students with my own responses.

Quote: "The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer." (Edward R. Murrow)

My two-minute Quickwrite response:
It's funny to think about things that are unclear or vague being easier to see than things that are right in front of your nose. I guess it's kind of like the difference between "street smart" and "book smart". I, for example, have absolutely no common sense, but there are very few pieces of literature I can't analyze and not much I can't write. Except poems : )

Conversation?

4 comments:

  1. Makes me think of Thomas Huxley's response to Darwin's "Origin of Species" and the theory of natural selection in general, which was that it was so simple and so intuitively obvious that he couldn't believe he hadn't thought of it sooner. It really is when you think about it, yet some people still don't believe it! Weird :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A teacher of a different vein than I (read "non-humanities") tells several of my brightest students on a fairly regular basis, "You completely understand complex geometric theorems, yet I bet you can't find the milk in the refrigerator half the time".

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he! There's a ton of stuff in the lab that Dan and I aren't allowed to touch, because even though we designed the experiments that require these things, we lack the common sense to read the instructions and use them properly (and thus will probably ruin them). Also, I can never remember where my stupid car is. It's very amusing to others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shall I mention "toona" now : ) ?

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...