Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Springing" Backwards

Okay, am I the only person who feels completely discombobulated by the time change?

A week ago, I watched the sun rise in my rear view mirror on my way to work, and the darkness settled like a blanket as I likewise hunkered down for the night. As of Sunday, it's dark when I leave to go to work, and my inner clock is completely screwed up because it's still light outside when I go to put Belle to bed (something that she doesn't understand ... not a pretty scene).

I think this is really getting to me today, though, because this morning was sleeting and/or freezing rain (or both, I'm not always clear on the distinction) and the sun never came out all day. Instead, it was a foggy, gray mess. I was just blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah all day.

It's funny, when I told my students this, one very astute young lady opined that it was because it was so dark outside. As soon as she said that, I was like, "Eureka!" (except I didn't go running around naked yelling what translates roughly to, "I have found it!" like Archimedes).

What's the point of Daylight Savings? Can I start a petition or something?

2 comments:

  1. It has me a little "off" too, but I have to admit, I liked coming out of class last night to the remnants of daylight. Soon, it will be light in the morning and the longer evenings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's true : )

    It's getting better, actually, although I was out to dinner last night and it was still bright out. Belle wanted to go play in the park, and I looked at my cell phone, saw the time, realized it was almost an hour past her bedtime ...

    Guess I just don't do well with change ;)

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...