Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sustained by Laughter

I love to laugh. In fact, I think it's safe to say that, in some ways, laughter has saved me. I know a lot of people that become bitter and jaded and cynical when faced with ugliness, and while I've had my moments of feeling that way, I've always been able to search deeply for the humor in a situation and ultimately come out laughing.

During my blogoversary (how do you spell that, anyway?) week, I've been doing a lot of rereading (how fortuitous that it's coincided with school vacation week).

And I found that my blog contains quite a few really hysterically funny life adventures. Since I have a lot more followers now than I did when these were originally written, I figured I'd do some recapping. Definitely check out the original posts if you get a chance (there are links) ... remember, laughter is the world's best medicine :-)

My sister and I had a ridiculously funny Facebook exchange. It involved horse urine and lettuce from a different country. You can find it here.

If laughter is your panacea, teaching is the career for you. Only in education can tampons come up in a conversation about spare tires and the yearly occurrence of 4/20 bring hysterical laughter.

Then there was the night that Belle and I spent hanging with a giant chicken.

And then there was the whole Andy adventure, which was of course a laughter-fueled train wreck. If you haven't read about Andy before on here, he was my best friend for a long time--we reconnected for awhile when I decided that, for my own healing, I had to tell him about the rape. Anyway, we had some great adventures during our reconnected whatever-the-hell-you-want-to-call-it that were incredibly funny, including:
* Going to a Monster Truck show (I'm not what you would call a Monster Truck kind of girl)
* Why I ended up leaving my final divorce court date laughing like a loon.
* I walk into a men's room for a stupid purpose and see a man ... in action.
* The skiing adventure (with video ... my personal favorites are when we got Addie and her friend on the real chairlift when they were snowboarding for the first time or the last one, where you really get a feel for what tools Andy and I are together)

Andy isn't my only funny friend, though. Take BJ, for example, who received a mail order prayer rug and nearly had a nervous breakdown over it.

Hope I was able to brighten up your day a bit :-) ... which did you find to be the most humorous?

Oh, and don't forget about my wonderful, amazing giveaway. Enter now!

11 comments:

  1. I've always found laughter the best medicine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried being grown up, sensible , and serious in my twenties. It was too much like hard work, so I gave up!
    I'm silly, juvenile,and laugh A LOT.
    Im happy.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might be surprised how many people have no clue about 4/20 (or 4:20) - but that's funny too!

    I love making people laugh - it's like my unoffical job, my 'other' life's work.



    WORD VERIFICATION: nowsp
    DEFINITION: what comes beforesp latersp

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to laugh too, and I love to make people laugh. But you do have a point about education... I've been teaching and doing workshops for years. Just a couple weeks ago, at a workshop I was giving, one of the participants was talking about how they didn't want to come across as a whimp if they did something I recommended. No one was really understanding why I recommended what I recommended because they were too fixated on the "whimp" part. That was, until I explained in S&M terms (it was the only thing I could think of at the time). Everyone laughed; everyone got it. Only in education!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good sense of humor is the only thing that gets me through most days without slapping someone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4/20 always made for interesting day when I was teaching, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totes agree that kids talk about the most random things. They make me laugh every time. Right now, the kids have gotten into saying, "Settle down, sir." They use it whenever a teacher asks them to sit quietly or concentrate on their studies. Cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plenty of things used to get me pretty riled up, but as I get older I tend to crack up laughing more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right about laughter! Just the titles/descriptions of your posts are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you love to laugh...me too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laughter is priceless. It's the best medicine for a lot of things--mainly life.
    Keep laughing!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...