Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Movie Time Meme (More Sunday Stealing :-))

Heehee, Sunday Stealing is the best thing to do whilst drinking coffee on a Sunday morning ... you get to answer random questions, readers get an insight into you they wouldn't otherwise, and ... well, it's fun :-)  The Movie Time Meme is this week's offering ... good times :-)


1. What is your all-time favorite movie costume?
In Wolfgang Petersen's The Neverending Story, there is a giant bat with wings that look like black trash bags.  My siblings and I had so much fun laughing at that (like, we'd reference it on trash day ... "Time to take the bat wings out") that it has to be my favorite movie costume.

2. What classic film would you nominate for a remake?
The Legend of Billie Jean.  That movie had potential ;-) (And, yes, it WAS a classic!)

3. Name your favorite femme fatale.
Kate Winslet, because she has the coolest name and managed to become a serious and successful actress despite being closer to a typical weight than most.

4. Name the best movie title.
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.  Only because the title is the best thing about it ... absolutely the worst  movie I've ever seen ...

5. Describe the worst performance by a child actor that you’ve ever seen.
The Olsen twins on Full House.  I can remember really being bothered by them.

6. Who gets your vote for most tragic movie monster?
Severus Snape ... the monster that was, ultimately, the true hero of the Harry Potter series.

7. What is the one Western that you would recommend to anybody?
Gotta go with The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (it's all about Eastwood, except for the unfortunate Honkeytonk Man)

8. Who is your ideal movie-viewing partner?
Anyone that doesn't talk during movies.  When I'm watching a movie, I want to focus on watching the movie ... a very good way to piss me off royally is to talk during a movie.

9. Has a film ever made you want to change your life? If so, what was the film?
Dead Poets Society definitely changed my approach to teaching and my bottom line attitude regarding my profession.  Plus, it always makes me cry.

10. Think of one performer that you truly love. Now think of
one scene/movie/performance of theirs that is too uncomfortable for you to
watch.
The scene where Tom Hanks is screaming, "WILSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" during Castaway makes my toes curl.

11. On the flip side, think of one really good scene/performance/movie
from a performer that you truly loathe.
Lindsay Lohan was pretty amazing in Mean Girls ... it's kind of sad, because it makes you realize how truly talented she is (or was).  

12. What is your favorite romantic comedy?
Dirty Dancing ... nobody puts Baby in a corner.

13. What is your favorite drama?
Beaches.  You would think I'd no longer cry by now, but I do.

14. Worst film you've seen?
Hmm, at the moment (one cup of coffee into the day), I'm feeling like it's the aforementioned Santa Claus Conquers the Martians or Honkeytonk Man.  

15. How do you feel about the majority of romantic films being labeled "chick flicks"?
Eh, I guess I'd be offended if I thought about it overmuch, but let's be real ... how many guys get together to watch Sleepless in Seattle?

16. Favorite on-screen couple?
Han Solo and Princess Leia, natch :-)

17. Favorite off-screen couple?
Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner (because since Ben is clearly never going to be mine, at least he's got a girl that loves her kids, has a good sense of humor, and is occasionally photographed by paparazzi sans makeup and wearing glasses and sweatpants)

18. Best kiss in a movie?
Gotta go with From Here to Eternity in this one.

19. Favorite scene?
In The Godfather, when Marlon Brando's Vito Corleone is filling in his son Michael (Al Pacino) on the ultimate facts of life.  "It was Barzini all along."

20. Who are 2 film characters you wished had gotten together, but never did?
I am clearly overthinking this one ... are we talking the same movie?  Random characters slapped together from different films?  I haven't had enough coffee to answer this one, obviously.

21. Two actors you think would have great chemistry, but have never done a film together?
No idea ... creativity is flowing faster than the coffee this morning ...

22. Favorite song in a film (doesn't have to be from a musical)?
"The Wind Beneath my Wings" because it always makes me BAWL in the context of Beaches (even though the song annoys me otherwise since I've heard it a zillion times).

23. Best score from a film?
Pretty much anything John Williams scored.  The master of the major fifth ;-)  I especially like Star Wars and E.T.

24. Best film quote?
"Fra-gee-lay.  That must be Italian."

25. A film you'd recommend that is a "Must See" for us to watch?
The Legend of Billie Jean ... I'm telling you, it was ahead of its time.

6 comments:

  1. I think if there is one thing Kate Winslet's career has proven it's that she has a great body :P I'm not that much of a movie buff myself but I find that it's good to have someone to talk to when watching a movie actually. But I have a bad attention span -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Katie (just a minute before noon) -

    I am shocked, Dirty Dancing was a romantic-comedy? Still one of my favorites. Even though I am a guy, Sleepless is good (maybe my fem side is showing). I will look out for The Legend of Billie Jean, have never seen it.

    Continuing from the Liebster, pajama bottoms only? I take that to mean topless?

    Drink some coffee,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might yank this for my film blog. There are some fun questions here.

    And I love that "Frag-ee-lay" is your favorite quote. I love that one too.
    ~Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  4. John Williams is terrific. I almost said him. Thanks for playing. :) hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate people who talk during movies. I've stopped going with one woman because of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie -

    You are too sweet to like my #1. You adventurous side shows. :)

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...