Sunday, July 17, 2011

On Tattoos

It seems like everybody has a tattoo today, and the view of them as "tacky" or "low class" that people like my mother have has lessened. Sort of.

There's still a "tattoo taboo", though. The best example I can think of is when I was fooling around with a guy, we were at the point where his shirt was coming off, and he interrupted the festivities to say, "Just so you know, I have a full-sleeve".

I've thought a lot about that moment, actually, mostly because I was pretty shocked to hear that. He was not, after all, what I'd consider a full-sleeve kind of guy. And then, of course, the very idea that I'd divide people into "possible full-sleeves" or not bothers me quite a bit.

I have two tattoos.

I got the first one when I was eighteen, a small dolphin on my upper leg that can only be seen if I'm wearing a bathing suit (or ... you know, naked). I love that little dolphin, and I've never regretted that tattoo.



I grew up on the ocean, am happiest when in the water, and it was the first present I gave myself after Addie was born. It is meaningful, private, and not something I've ever been sorry about.

Second tattoo? Stupid drunken college-era error. And it's visible. Very visible. Sigh ...


The stupid sun tattoo, as I call it, is located on my lower right leg, just above the ankle bone. If I wear a skirt, dress, shorts, culottes, anything but full-length pants, there it is.

I hate that thing.

The thing is, I have no argument with tattoos that mean something. What I don't like are bandwagon tattoos (the so-called "tramp stamp" is a perfect example of that), where a lot of people have a similar-looking tattoo in a similar location.

My stupid sun tattoo is vintage bandwagon, and that bothers me. That it's the one that people see and comment on makes it even more frustrating.

I also appreciate the artistic value of tattoos. It's a skill I myself could never possess, and I think the different approaches and techniques are just amazing when done correctly.

So, yeah, I think tattoos should be meaningful and attractive and preferably not on a person's face. Otherwise, I have kind of a "live and let live" attitude about them.

There is one other thing.

Addie has requested as an early birthday gift/payment for bringing her sister to camp each morning that I take her to get a tattoo of the Deathly Hallows symbol. She wants it on her hipbone, where it would not be seen, and she wants me to get one, too.

Because she's under eighteen, I would have to take her, and I'm actually (I can't believe I'm saying this) considering it. The thing is, it would be meaningful (as she tearfully pointed out at 2:30 in the morning after leaving the final movie, "My childhood is over"), it would be private, and it would be attractive.

What are your thoughts on tattoos?

15 comments:

  1. A lot of my friends have tattoos, many of them very visible and nearly all of them very carefully considered and beautifully artistic. I don't have one and so far don't want one but I can appreciate the artistry and the significance of them.

    As far as my kids wanting ink, should they ever do so, I hope I'll have made sure they understand the importance of careful consideration when it comes to tattoos and I'll point them in the direction of a tattoo artist I know and trust on the basis of my friends' recommendations. I have to admit I'd prefer they waited till they were older rather than younger but I can absolutely see why you'd be willing to consider Addie's request :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two as well, both meaningful to me in a significant way. One I guess others would consider "bandwagon" I suppose as it is of a butterfly and as one of my boyfriends pointed out all girls get butterflies, however that's not why I got it, I got mine when I divorced and I changed dramatically as a person, it really was symbolic of my transformation and yet, everyone has to comment that it's "generic" and I want to punch them in the face as it was a very significant turning point in my life. *sigh* Even when you get something deeply personal to you, people still feel the need to judge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mimbles--I think the "careful consideration" part is huge. My students talk about how "cool" my stupid sun tat is, and I'll say, "When I'm old and have saggy skin, I'll have a stupid sun that means nothing to me hanging off my leg. Classy stuff, guys, classy stuff."

    @Moonlight Dancer--You bring up a really good point ... it's really easy to generalize "bandwagon" tattoos, and I perhaps have a tendency to do so even more quickly because of the aforementioned stupid sun. I think the symbolism of your butterfly is beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...great topic. My wife has urged me to rope a vine around my arm on numerous occasions, but am fearing I'll regret it the very minute I leave the parlor. Still considering...

    Glad I stopped by :)

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have five tattoos and I apprenticed as a tattoo artist when I was 21, so I obviously have nothing against tattoos. On the other hand, I don't find it attractive if someone is covered in them.
    I guess my "bandwagon" tattoo would be my "tramp stamp", but it also has a meaning. It's a butterfly with my oldest daughter's name and birth date.
    I like your daughter's tattoo idea. It has meaning to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have none, but my son has 3. The highest priority should be finding a clean, reputable tattoo artist; and second, that it IS something that you believe will be meaningful all of your life. I think there is still a stigma attached to it in some circles, just like piercings, but they're slowly becoming accepted everywhere.
    I think the Deathly Hallows tattoo, being meaningful, is prob an OK idea, especially if it would be hidden while wearing conservative attire. When she's older, she can think about one that's more visible if she wants. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. The problem isn't tattoos but BADLY drawn tattoos. If yr going to get inked, do yr research!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just make sure she wants it forever...i know they can be removed but...and realises that as your body changes so does the tattoo, a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind tattoos but...I'm too picky to get one. Seriously I can't find a design good enough to put on my body. I want something small, classy and mind blowing. Don't think I'm going to ever find it. IF I do, there's the issue of where it goes *sigh* I do think the sleeves are pretty cool if they're done right. There is a guy in one of my classes who has a sleeve of sorts- super cheap and tacky. At least spend the money if you're going to do it, lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually like your sun tattoo! But I get how you feel - I have a butterfly on my left shoulder, and while it's pretty and really well drawn, I wish it wasn't there. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't. I hate that people stare at it when I wear anything sleeveless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA ha...my era "bandwagon" was the Celtic knotwork band around the bicep. I don't have one, but hubs almost got one. I'm glad he didn't (for the bandwagon principle-I'd love it if he got a tattoo that was meaningful to him). I'd love one too in a covered area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree. The idea of this is not a "full-sleeve" kind of person and this is seems antiquated now. But just 10 or 15 years ago there was a clear division there. Tattoos have really only gone mainstream quite recently.
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, personally, do not like tattoos, but if someone else wants one who am I to judge?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suggest a waiting period on the Potter tattoo. Like maybe 3 to 6 months. She's emotional over the ending of the series, but just because her 'childhood' is over, doesn't mean her life is. Would she be embarrassed at age 35 to be sportin' a Harry Potter tattoo?

    If after the time mandate she still wants it, then go there, secure there won't be any regrets.

    I personally would never get a tattoo, but only because I am a huge baby and fear needles of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have three. Two I designed myself. The third is the Chinese symbol for Serenity. The Wife hates it because it's my tribute to Firefly. No regrets on that one, either.

    If you're ever near Chicago, let me know. You can pay my brother a visit and have that sun covered up with something more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...