Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday Fragments #1: Giving it a Try

I'm a huge fan of Mrs. 4444's blog, Half-Past Kissin' Time. One of her regular tidbits is Friday Fragments, which is basically a collection of stuff collected over the past week. I figured I'd give it a try ...

Addie and her best friend tried to make coffee cupcakes from a Tumblr recipe a few weeks ago. The results were disastrous because they used coffee grounds instead of liquid coffee. They went for the redo this week, and they were the best cupcakes I've ever had. They got really into decorating them, too :-)
                                                                                 **
Burger King has come out with something called a "Bacon Cheddar Ranch Tendercrisp".  Addie has been salivating ever since, and we had a recent lunch date to indulge in one.

When we went to BK, however, it was like a Saturday Night Live skit.  The cashier was named Phyllis, and her co-workers sounded like crows when they bellowed her name.  Nothing she did made any sense ... like, she would run off to stock lids in the middle of cashiering ... and then someone would squawk, "Phyllis!"

It was ridiculously funny.
                                                                                 **
I've been reading a young adult medieval fantasy series geared to boys for the past week.  One of my students recommended John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series, not exactly my usual cup of tea in terms of literature selection, and I haven't been able to stop.  I've slowed down, though, because I'm on the last one ... and I don't want it to end!












                                                                             **
I changed my Facebook status to "single".  I had just left the relationship status part empty, and now it's officially single.  I mean, I've been single for a long time (a long, long time), but I think maybe this means I'm ready to start looking.  Like, in earnest ... not just bemoaning how difficult dating is when you're in your thirties (because, let's face it ... dating is hard at any age).
                                                                             **
Belle started summer camp this week.  She went part-time last year; she was at camp while I was teaching summer school, but I got to spend afternoons and weekends with her.  This year, she wanted to go full-time ... and I miss her terribly.  When I get home from summer school, she's still at camp for several hours, and I'm kind of at a loss.  She loves it, though, which makes it worthwhile.  I suppose ;-)
                                                                             **
Addie sent me this grocery list via Facebook. 
                                                                              **
I'm glad that summer school is only Monday through Thursday (and only three hours).  It is exhausting! 
                                                                              **
My roof is being reshingled.  When I went to go to bed after the first day, it was covered with debris (that's what comes from having your bedroom be the attic of a barn, I guess).  The roofers are decent guys, and the fact that they sing along with the radio (loudly)is especially entertaining.
                                                                              **
I have been having some really strange, extremely vivid dreams this week.  It's odd, because if you can't tell from this list, it's been a pretty dull week.  Maybe that's even why ... I don't know, the whole concept of dreaming is just fascinating to me.

In fact, I wish I was organized enough to keep a dream notebook.  The dream I had last night was like a mystery movie, and I bet I would have had the makings of a new novel if I'd written it down right away.  Now, I can't really remember the details of it at all.  

11 comments:

  1. Interesting fragments... the cupcakes sound great- and it's lovely to read about kids and parents with actual relationships (I read too much YA!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I skipped into a McDonald's once, much to the embarassment of my kids and the open-mouthed amazement of the staff. I then procedded to talk in a gay voice and pat them all on the head and blow them kisses. That'll teach them to annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Phyllis - she probably can't focus so her work options are probably not so great. It does sound funny though.

    Dreams are amazing. I can remember learning about the different stages of sleep back in high school and thought wow that's going on in my head. I've seen good documentaries on it too. Dreams serve a purpose but I don't think there is anything predictive about them.

    Great fragments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talk about weird dreams! I dremed I kept getting an ace high flush playing poker, but it was always a flush of pepperoni!!!! No idea, so strange. Glad you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked reading this because it's such a cute way to give us insight into your life. Singing roofers rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these blogs I'm reading with all these kids going to camp! I'm so jealous! I never thought of it, and now there's no way I could find a spot anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a round up. I've been away a while, but now I feel caught up. You sound so busy, but content.

    Have a great weekend.

    .........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always saying that about my dreams...they are good stuff, sometimes I get mad when I wake up and miss the ending.
    Single on Facebook....that could get interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck remembering that dream and I hope you find someone amazing as yourself to share your life with:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have toyed with the idea of a dream notebook too. It would probably turn out to be an interesting collection of potentially creative material.

    I wish I could try those cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Speaking of dreams...2 nights ago, I dreamt that someone shot Casey Anthony as she getting out of jail. Where was she shot, you ask?

    In the crotch.

    Yeah, my dreams are funky...but wouldn't that be cool? ; )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...