Sunday, May 29, 2011

Who Am I To Argue With Fate?

Do you believe in fate? Sometimes I get all cynical and think it's a bunch of crap, that karma does not in fact pay you back for living a life that focuses on bettering the world for others,doesn't bring down the people who bring so much pain and suffering into the world.

Then I have days like today where I realize that there has to be something ... call it God, call it fate, call it good luck, but man ...

So last night, my computer suddenly went psycho. I mean, we're talking crazy. I was pretty sure it was a lost cause (whatever it was swept through the virus protection like wildfire), and Addie confirmed that this morning.

Of course, I had a decision to make. Should I go to a computer specialty store to see if they can repair the earliest version of a Netbook, or should I just get a new computer (which has been on the radar for awhile ... Netbooks have good points, but they also have severe limitations).

Anyway, I'm typing this on my beautiful, brand new laptop :-)

Back to fate for a minute, though.

I got this urge yesterday to print my novel. I have a hard time editing on a computer screen (it's kind of like why I don't have a Kindle or a Nook, despite my insatiable appetite for reading), and I knew I had a lot of work to do.

To make matters even more interesting, my printer is special and prints one page at a time. My completed novel is lengthy. Quite lengthy. It made more sense to just go to Staples, so I put it on a USB and paid far too much money to it printed.


Yeah, do you see why the "one page at a time" approach was just not feasible?

Anyway, while I was putting the novel onto a USB, I figured I might as well print out my current WIP, too. After all, it's in need of some editing as well.

When my computer appeared to be possessed by the equivalent of Charles Manson on acid, I was momentarily hysterical. Other than Addie and Belle (and possibly my dogs), those two pieces of writing are the most important thing in the world to me.

They weren't backed up until yesterday. (Stupid, I know)

Thank you, whatever force made me take care of that business yesterday. I owe you one!

And, if you're interested in exploring my novel in terms of critique or style or abject curiosity or whatev, you can read some of it here, and/or weigh in on a recent struggle I've had with it right here.

And, just because I'm excited about it, here's the hard-to-read dedication page (no pseudonyms there, but I don't think the people on the page would be offended ... interesting that I've written about most of them here under assumed names, though).



9 comments:

  1. People laugh at me when I tell them I need a paper copy to understand something. I cannot learn from a screen, paper I'm fine....go figure.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange how life slaps one around one minute and lifts one up the very next. I'm a fiend about backing everything up and having copies of everything (or 2, or 3) ever since a house down the block caught fire a few months ago. Your story makes me feel a little better about being such a worrier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you wrote a novel? youre gonna be rich!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no fate but what we make. ;-)

    Congratulations on helping keep Staples in business. And on your lovely printed novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you got a new computer. Sounds like you needed it! You certainly were lucky that you backed up your stuff. That reminds me...I better back my stuff up right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SPOOKY!

    It's happened to me on occasions too, though I don't always listen. And, I may have mentioned this before, you can always take the hard drive out of the old one and plug it into your new one. Any virus on it will be inert and unable to do anything, unless you deliberately start it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally believe in Karma because I know at least three people who are living their punishment for being sucky people in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes it's just really hard to deal with Karma. I do good things, and sometimes good things happen, and sometimes I feel cold-cocked. It's a crap shoot, I tell ya! And now I Nerd out: What's the new laptop? What kind? Specs?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, huge congratulations to you on completing your novel!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

    Maybe this will make your day even better (I hope). You have an award on my blog--it's one you can totally have fun with. It's called the Overlord award and you get the power of world domination (make 3 changes to our world). It's fun! I got totally carried away! lol

    I just figured you would do an amazing job with an award like this!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...