Friday, June 3, 2011

Fragments of Thought (I'm Blaming Percocet)

* "Bad Backs" truly do exist.I used to get really annoyed by people who, whenever asked to help lift something or mow the lawn or whatever, say, "Sorry, can't help, I have a bad back." I mean, talk about a convenient excuse!

But I woke up at two in the morning Sunday with excruciating back pain and found out the next day that I have a pinched sciatic nerve. Ouch!!!!! I've been on a lot of pain meds and muscle relaxants this week (hence the lack of posts and the weird rambling phone conversations I'm not contributing much to ;-)), but it is still horribly uncomfortable.

It's kind of funny, too ... I got a Coke out of the soda machine at work and couldn't bend down to get it out, and I memorably yelled, "I'm having a real problem with bending over!" down the hall, which caused a great deal of laughter.

I will never again roll my eyes when someone starts talking about a bad back. Instead, I will feel intense sympathy.

* My daughter is a brilliant musician.In typical Addie fashion, my lovely sixteen-year-old mentioned offhandedly that she had a solo in Tuesday's jazz band performance. What she didn't tell me was the extent of her solo. I videotaped it at her request, and I cried the whole time (my mother cried the duration of the song as well, and Belle just kept whispering, "Addie's playing! Addie's playing!"

Addie gave me the link to the video I made, but I had to swear not to post it on Facebook. I didn't. But here's the link (Blogger isn't Facebook, right ;-)?)

* Um ... my back hurts.
Feel free to roll your eyes ;-)

11 comments:

  1. Bad backs bl**dy hurt..my chiropractor keep me 'bendy'!!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know bad back well. And right shoulder and hip and knee. Car crash. Lovely. I've also found that vicodin helps me get through most of my work day. Take it at 10am and it's worn off by the time I have to drive home at 4. Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bad backs suck. nice vid, you can embed it on your post btw

    ReplyDelete
  4. After thirty years of being a steel worker, I often honestly rely on the bad-back line. I'm not rolling my eyes. Hope you feel better.
    That wasn't just a solo, it was all her. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great band!, and brilliant performance by your daughter. We do not have that type of bands in schools here in Guatemala, so had I listened to it, I would've swear it was a professional group! Congratulations to her.

    I suffer from a disk problem, so I know exactly the kind of back pain a person can go through, and hence would never roll my eyes! It's horrible, and I truly hope you get well soon. One comes to appreciate a "pain-free body" when going through such health problems, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your trouble bending over is quickly resloved. Tell Addie she is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had 7 back surgeries. I will probably be facing another back surgery and my first neck surgery. People roll their eyes at me all the time. Oh, and some of those are when I say I can't lift something because of my back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome your daughter had a solo in jazz band. I love jazz. Hope your back gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You kept you promise in the kids do. You did exactly what you wanted as well as keeping your promise. (he he)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicodin being a prescription pain medication should be administered as directed and not taken according to one’s discretion. The daily permissible dose of Vicodin should not exceed 8 pills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Judloved? I know you're a spammer, but watch it. Until you're sitting in a stationary car and hit from behind by a douchebag doing 62 who's not paying attention, have to have the firemen tear open your car, and be transported to the ER in an ambulance for a head CT and neck x-ray, then you can talk to me about using vicodin for pain. Okay?

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...