Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How Asinine Are Political Signs, Anyway?

The new focus of my bitter cynicism (which is newly developed, by the way ... I used to be a really positive person, I swear) is political signs.

Okay, here's the thing. I have developed quite an interest in politics of late and actually know what I'm talking about a lot of the time. Not just on the issues, either, although I like to think I'm pretty on top of it with those.

No, I guess you could say that I've gotten very busy looking at the ugly white underbelly of the political machine, with United States Senatorial candidates decrying women in the military (along with masturbation in any manifestation) and the executive branch caving to pressure from a nutty fringe group that won't hold itself together until the next election and people hating on other religions in the name of politics and just all sorts of garbage like that.

But that doesn't really get me thinking, not the way I like to think. Nope, what I ponder is the usefulness, the purpose, of political signs.

People over eighteen fall into one of three basic categories:

1. They know exactly who they want to vote for.
2. They don't give a rodent's derriere about voting.
3. They will vote for the person who is recommended by a family member or close friend.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that political signs placed on lawns and roadsides are intended to sway that third group ... but as far as I can tell, all it does is advertise who people living in a certain home are voting for.

What if you hate your neighbor, for example? What if there's a big, fat "Sarah Palin 2012" sign (heaven forbid) in the yard, so you decide to NOT vote for Sarah Palin just out of spite? Stranger things have happened, after all ...

Even more, though, I drive around a lot and it's very interesting to see the demographics of where certain political signs turn up. And sometimes I'll think to myself, "Wow, that's Bob Jones' house. I never knew he was a Republican. Weird ..."

I mean, I guess the people who are invested in voting will vote. The people that aren't won't. The people who are swayable ... is a sign stuck in someone's yard really going to make that much of a difference?

I'm working on the bitterness, guys, really I am ... Next post will address one of the (many) whys for it.

4 comments:

  1. Most conservatives vote their conscience, and don't advertise it. I wouldn't have a sign in my yard. My vote counts the same, whether or not I advertise it. When liberals spout their nonsense to me, I just point out a few facts that demolish their arguments. Or, I just smile and say nothing, because I don't want to hurt their feelings. It depends on how charitable I'm feeling at the time.

    I thought of you when I read about how teacher's unions regard their members as "beasts" who are simply a source of money for the unions to spend on political races. http://michellemalkin.com/2010/10/12/union-members-speak-up-on-coerced-political-spending/

    Are you a beast? I think not. But your union thinks you are. I don't think they deserve your allegiance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard of Beck University yet? They were discussing it on NPR this morning and I nearly drove off the road because, you see, my brain was imploding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the big fundamental misundersatnding is that either party is any different from the other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put yard signs out of both parties to confuse the hell out of people. Then I show up to vote drunk.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...