Friday, February 26, 2010

Prufrockin': To Shake the Status Quo or ...

T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" has always stood out to me, I'm not sure why. I think it's mostly because of the end, where Eliot writes, "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each/I do not think that they will sing to me"; ever since reading that, I have always listened for mermaids at the beach. Although I know it's kind of stupid and I know intellectually it's not possible, I believe in my heart and soul that there could be mermaids, a whole world down there in the depths of the ocean--that is the part of me that is a writer.

More academically--and more traditionally, I suppose--"Prufrock" has, to me, served as a warning to eschew mediocrity, to be brave enough to eat a peach and to never, ever be one of those women coming and going, talking of Michelangelo instead of creating their own magic. In other words, the status quo should never be good enough.

Perhaps this is the part of the poem that scares me most:
"No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
Am an attendant lord, one that will do
To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
Deferential, glad to be of use,
Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
At times, indeed, almost ridiculous,
Almost, at times, the Fool."

The thing is, I had sworn my life over to mediocrity for a very long time. I had essentially surrendered myself into the role of an "attendant lord", going about my life in a mundane way, letting someone else call the shots and suppressing the part of myself that looks at stars and wonders why my dogs turn around three times before going to sleep and whether global warming is legit and if we all see the same shade of red when we look at an apple and ... well, you know, the part of myself that was ME.

And I have that part back now. With the help of destiny in the form of alcoholism that shattered my marriage and blew up my world, I have somehow found myself again. There is magic in my life now, tremendous magic, but I am so scared that it's an ephemeral thing, that I am just an attendant lord again, just not to a mentally ill alcoholic husband. The rational part of me says, "Nope, you can feel the magic, you are yourself again, just go with it," but the part of me that needs to know where things stand is yelling, "Be Prince Hamlet, damn it! Shake up the status quo. Live a little--if you don't make the conversation happen, you'll just exist in this vacuum until ..."

Until WHAT, Prince Hamlet part of my brain? Until what?

And then I read the last lines of Eliot's poem, about contemplating on taking that chance, of living a little, "until human voices wake us and we drown." Isn't what I have now better than that?

If you read this blog with any regularity, you can probably figure out what I'm talking about. If you don't, that's okay too ... it's a pretty universal concept, I think. So my question to you, wonderful readers, is this: is it better to just live your life, enjoying a status quo which is pretty decent, or do you shoot for the stars, take destiny into your own hands and put everything you currently have going for you at risk?

7 comments:

  1. Shoot for the stars. If you miss, you simply go back to the status quo until you find more stars to shoot for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it takes a little bit of both, actually. I think it's okay to be grounded. Live life. Hold down a job. Pay your bills and watch movies with your family on Friday night. It's called normalcy.

    I also think it's awesome to shoot for the stars. Really live life. Take risks. Believe you can achieve anything if you work hard enough. Dream big or go home.

    Where you can watch movies with your family on Friday night.

    You know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words over at my place.

    Love this: "... if we all see the same shade of red when we look at an apple..."

    That was a favorite topic of discussion among my more chemically-enhanced friends and me, back in the days when we were more chemically-enhanced. I would espouse a theory just a step beyond that. I would say that I think it's possible that what I see as red, you see as what I see as green, and another person may see it as what you see as blue and I see as yellow and another guy sees as pink.

    Yeah, I know. I should have stopped after the first hit of acid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say the answer is somewhere in between. Don't risk losing your family. Nothing is worth that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rena: Good point ... I just wouldn't want to lose my status quo in the process.

    Elana: That's a great way of looking at it : ) No matter how awful things get, I will always have movies with my family on Friday nights.

    Suldog: LOL!!!!!!!! Let's hear it for chemical enhancement ...

    T.Anne: I would never do anything to jeopardize my family! This situation, it's just about part of my life outside of my children. It impacts them, of course, but they are both happy with the status quo. Blah, it's so hard to talk about this without getting specific :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with Elana. It makes me think of the quote that Casey Kasem used at the end of the top 40. Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lotus: I agree with Elana, too : ) The thing is, I've kept my feet on the ground while reaching for the stars for awhile now, and I'm just afraid that nothing's going to change (there will be no moving to a higher level, so to speak) if I don't say something. However, the situation is one that could potentially be changed forever (in a negative way) if I do. I guess that continuing the status quo while reaching for the stars wouldn't make anything worse ... it just wouldn't change what I'm already doing and what is kind of driving me crazy inside. I'm sure none of that makes a whole lot of sense ;)

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...