Thursday, February 25, 2010

New Hampshire Beach on a Rainy February Day

I've been hearing about many cases of the February blahs. The beach always cheers me up when I'm down, puts my life into perspective and such, and I feel like I've been saying that to a lot of people lately. Andy called a little while ago and said he'd heard on the radio that the high tide was supposed to be pretty amazing because of the recent rain and all the meltoff, so I figured it was a karmic sign hearing about the beach when it's been on my mind so much the last couple of days.

Anyway, I started out at my family's beach house on Plaice Cove in Hampton. I figured out pretty quickly that it wasn't anywhere close to high tide (I've spent every summer of my life on that beach and know it like the back of my hand ... there were landmarks visible that just aren't when it's high tide), but it was still pretty wild. High tide is around five (I checked lol), so I'll probably go back then. Still, for a fairly low tide, this was pretty intense. Oh, and ignore my voice cracking ... it's still all messed up from the stupid flu.



Then I went to North Beach in North Hampton, which made me want to go surfing : )



I will never feel about anything else the way I feel abut the beach. It is just the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Do you have any place like that? Are you a beach person? What do you think of my (decidedly amateurish) beach videos?

12 comments:

  1. Not a huge beach person, but loved your vids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see the videos! Stupid firewall. But I love the beach. I live in a landlocked state and there's something magical about all that water and the sound of the waves... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I live in Derry, NH and go to those beaches all the time. They're pretty cold in Feb. brrr. But they are also so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw one video, and the waves made my toes twitch to stand in them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living in So. Cal., most people are about the beaches. Me? I'm all about the mountains! Someone once reasoned why..."wheelchairs and sand don't mix but wheelchairs and dirt are made for each other". I like off-roading in my chair. lol! And I love the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadako: Thanks : ) I've never posted videos before, so I'm just glad they worked.

    Elana: On the bright side, you missed out on the sounds of my cough-ravaged voice distracting from the peaceful lull of the ocean (actually, it was more like a roar today)

    Aubrie: It was freezing! That's why the videos were so short ;) Wow, Derry ... how strange is it to meet someone via blogging that lives less than an hour away?

    Jinksy: I seriously considered it : ) I haven't been in the ocean since October, so I'm kind of twitching for it.

    JJ: I've never been to California, but I hear it's beautiful. And I think that you are an amazing inspiration : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOUR beach looks an awful lot like MY beach(down on the coast of RI) lately! Grey skies with roiling waves!! Your video was fine--could hear the wind and surf!
    I live right on the ocean(and love taking my dog for a run their in the off months when its more deserted), but often long for mountains(it's so flat here) so we try to get up to the White Mountains every summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're feeling better! At least you could get out and enjoy nature.

    Your vids are fun. It seems like a nice place. I like when the gray sky meets the gray sea at dawn and dusk, and you can't tell where one ends and the other begins. Mist is even better.

    It must be nice to have big waves. We never get any, on the Gulf, except in hurricanes. But we can hear the ocean on most days, unless it's very flat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool videos! I grew up close to the beach. My favorite thing to do was camp there, especially in the winter when the crowds were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love going to Fort Bragg in CA. Sitting on the beach in the warm sun, watching the waves roll in. Even in July it too cold to get in, though many people do.

    I also love the mountains though. I'm getting too old to be sleeping on the ground in a tent. I think the biggest appeal to the hills right now is the warm fires.

    ...........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't see the videos either.

    I do love the beach, but I also love the desert and the mountains, snow, rain, wind... I just have to have variety. So living in the Bahamas might be paradise for a lot of other people, but it doesn't change enough for me.

    I'm glad it makes you happy! Maybe if I knew how to surf and scuba dive.... Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. California is beautiful (if I do say so myself)...and an "amazing" inspiration? Me??? *blushing* Thanks!!! : )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...