Thursday, February 25, 2010

Poetry is not my Medium, but ...

During my daily blog-reading, I came across a post by the witty and wise Jinksy sharing a poem meant to shake a friend out of a glum mood. The piece really resonated with me and made me think about sharing a poem I wrote a few months ago when teaching villanelles to my Poetry class.

A word about poetry and me, by the way. I love poetry, read it for pleasure all the time. However, I struggle with writing it--as a writer, I am a novelist and a blogger; my ventures into other forays make me feel awkward. When I found out I would be teaching Poetry class this year, I kind of freaked. I was 100% comfortable with the reading and analyzing part, but I wasn't sure how I would do at teaching the writing process since it is something that I myself struggle with so much. I needn't have worried ... my students, to a child extremely gifted poets, taught me more about the writing of poetry than I could possibly have taught them. "Just do it," they said. "Don't you always tell us that you can make bad writing good but can't do anything with nothing?" Having my own words thrown back at me was the best thing that could have happened. I started writing poetry ... I operate under no illusions that it's GOOD poetry, but at least it is.

And here's the one I'm choosing to share with you ...

“Far More Mind Erasing Motor Booty”
(KL)

I dream of you when winter’s here
And of one chivalrous New Years Eve.
I wish that you were always near.

Friend, please know I hold you dear;
My heart is no longer on my sleeve.
I dream of you when winter’s here.

I know that I’ve shed my last tear;
The past is gone, no reason to grieve.
I wish that you were always near.

It’s more important, with the changing of years,
To know that you will never leave.
I dream of you when winter’s here.

Can I possibly make it any more clear?
Strings of my life were made for you to weave.
I wish that you were always near.

When I’m with you, I have no fear,
No limit to what I might achieve.
I dream of you when winter’s near.
I wish that you were always here.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and profound.

    "The past is gone, no reason to grieve."
    "The past is gone, no reason to grieve."
    "The past is gone, no reason to grieve."

    I try and try and try to remember this.

    "To know that you will never leave."

    "Strings of my life were made for you to weave."

    Your poem speaks to me. I remember a friend that I love dearly. "The past is gone no reason to grieve" but now she will be with me forever and "never leave" because she is woven into the fabric of my life.

    Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Strings of my life were made for you to weave." Love the whole poem but this was my favorite line. Glad you shared!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, it's great to "meet" you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great poem! A lot of blogs I'm reading today are reminding me of my relationship with Paul. Thank you for your response to my post. I hope you go and read my reply. I really appreciated your words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journalizer: Thanks so much : ) You're reminding me of how a poem that is very specific to a certain person in my life can connect to you so strongly. Isn't poetry grand

    Amber: Thanks : ) I loved your blog! That is my favorite line as well ... the rest of it was really hard to write, but that line just showed up, a gift from the muse, evidently.

    JJ: I did read your response ... made me cry but made me happy, if that makes any sense. It's funny how poetry is always there when you need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's beautiful.

    This one isn't romantic, but it's one of my favorites. Especially as a student of Latin.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen_Possum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words, Blogpal! I'm so glad I prompted you to share your delightful poem. Now perhaps you will be breave anough to write some more, too? 'Just do it' was very good advice - I've 'just done it' for years, but have only discovered others like to read my stuff, since I began blogging just over a year ago. You have a lifetime ahead of you, so let's see many more of your poems, before you get as old as me!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...