Friday, September 18, 2009

Procrastination Friday

I have so much to do that I don't even know where to begin. (I know, I know, at the beginning ... but what if you're not sure where that is?)

I even had goals. Yeah, seriously--a home goal (get all my clothes put away finally) and a work goal (finish typing meeting minutes for a committee I'm co-chairing). What happened? Well, isn't it obvious? I had a quiet evening at home with no one but Belle, and she was so exhausted from staying up late last night that she fell asleep watching television.

To be fair, I paid a bunch of bills. That was pretty big. I also wrote a long and difficult e-mail to Pythagorus (the gist being that he needs to take responsibility for his actions, not blame his problems on other people, and that I really want to support him in his sobriety endeavour, but it's hard to do that when he takes everything I say completely wrong and then doesn't call for several days--I'm guessing it wasn't well-received since, true to form, he hasn't called despite a promise to do so. Jesus, the whole situation could almost be comical if it didn't hurt so damn much.

After that, I went on Wikipedia and read details about characters in "The Godfather" (yes, I know Wikipedia's an unreliable source--I'm an English teacher, after all--but it was mindless and interesting and, most importantly, relaxing.

I had to wake a rather annoyed Belle up so we could pick Addie up after the football game at her school, so we all just got home from that little jaunt. She's asleep again, and shock of shocks, Addie went to bed as well.

I have to go let the dogs out again and make sure the light's on for my mom (she gave a party at the beach house tonight and will be home late.

I just wanted to share my contemplations on procrastination. Basically, why is it so easy to complain incessantly that you don't have the time to get things done that are important yet, when the opportunity to accomplish something useful arises, you do stupid things like research the complex relationship between Don Vito Corleone and Luca Brasi--and on freaking Wikipedia, no less?

3 comments:

  1. Because when you have much more work than time to do it, you feel the need to take the rare quiet moment for non-work rather than more work! Like you, I love my work, but it gets to be enough already. You wish to be more than a person who works, works, works some more, washes some dishes, works, does some laundry, works, and occasionally holds a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a dirty rotten procrastonator. I'm always finding time between all those "uber important things that I have to do today" to goof off on Twitter and blogs...it's like getting caught in a time warp where you have no time to do what you need to but all the time in the world to goof off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one procrastinates like me. It's annoying how daily life can be... so I just ignore it.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...