Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Amicable Ambien

I have a funny Ambien story for you.

My lifelong insomnia is no great secret, but I have not been as outspoken about the little pill that has curbed (if not cured) this issue for me. Ambien, it's your moment to shine (although I still question the wisdom of giving you out to recovering addicts and alcoholics ... guess it's a lesser evil thing).

But anyway ...

I've gone through all the sleep stuff--Ambien, Lunesta, Advil PM, and various other things that--ahem--I might or might not have had a prescription for. **Cough**

The thing that's funny is, my doctor prescribed the 12.5 dose of Ambien CR some time ago. It worked better than most for me, although I still had a fair number of insomnia-fraught nights.

So I switched medical practices, and naturally I didn't write down the medications I was currently taking to bring to my physical. Most of what I take was pretty easy to figure out in terms of dosage, but we really struggled with the Ambien (I knew it was the CR--a double whammy that knocks you out quickly then slowly releases lighter medication to keep you asleep--but I hadn't a clue as to the dosage).

I really like my doctor. She said, "We'll start with the 6.25 dosage. If that doesn't work, we'll go to the 12.5."

Remember how I said this was a funny story? What's funny is, the 6.25 works a hundred times better than the 12.5. Any logic to that? I'm not sure--just grateful :)

Hopefully this makes sense--1) I've typed the whole thing on my BlackBerry and 2) I took my Ambien a few minutes before I started typing.

'Night :)

9 comments:

  1. Hope that rooster doesn't roam around your room while you doze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious ... and good! Better to have the lesser dose be effective! Hope you had a restful night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, maybe I should start up on that. I have major insomnia. Hence, the post at 3 a.m. Ahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt was taking ambien, she would "wake" but not really, go downstairs while my uncle would be watching tv, not say a word to him make herself a gigantic bowl of icecream with hot fudge and whipped cream eat it and go back to bed, the next morning she woke up and was like "Why do I have chocolate on my nightie" my uncle was like, probably that HUGE bowl of ice cream you just ate about 3 hours ago. She did this all the time. I think that's kind of a weird effect that it has on some people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you're just different? But aren't we all?

    Sounds like the dose is finally correct. Some medications can reverse the effect if they're overdosed.

    Enjoy your sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, that is strange.

    You're a lucky girl - a script for Ambien.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Travis--Cock a doodle doo!

    Kelly--Thanks, it was a great night's sleep : )

    Saumya--It truly was a godsend. My insomnia was really starting to drive me over the edge.

    MD--The warning label on the prescription says (I swear on my life this is true) you might do things you don't remember after taking Ambien ... and the list includes everything from binge eating to having sex. Weird.

    Martin--Different ... that's one way to put it :)

    Ms. B--Yeah, I always catch the strange things, I guess :) And yes, VERY lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to take Tylenol PM but got tired of feeling hung over all day long. Then I took Lunesta, before I started losing my hair. Now I stay up til 3:30 am and I'm awake by 10:30 am. That works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have tried Ambien. I highly recommend it. You can buy through online WWW.MEDSHEAVEN.COM even without prescription. MF

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...