Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Finding Beauty in Small Places


My Advisory went outside to play basketball this morning.

In the field just past the hot top, a rather industrious spider had spun a gorgeous and shockingly large web. One of my students noticed it, and we all went in for a look.

It was just breathtaking, all sparkling with dew and twinkling in the morning sunshine.

What was even more beautiful to me, thoughn was the fact that none of my kiddos felt the need to destroy it or even mess around with it in any way. No, they looked, drank in the perfection of this gift of nature for a moment (admittedly short, but a moment), then went about their business of forcing unathletic old me into actually playing basketball.

I am always struck by beauty, but this unexpected double whammy was just what the doctor ordered :)

When have you found beauty in completely unexpected times or places?

2 comments:

  1. I occasionally look out of a window and see beautiful cloud formations. Sometimes they look silky smooth and coloured like silver, other times they can be gold and red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an absolutely lovely post!!! Such a beautiful picture of resilience!!! Thanks so much for sharing this!!! I think it needs to make its way into one of your novel projects somehow...has a certain Steinbeck quality to it!!!! ~Janine XO

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...