Monday, May 4, 2009

The Human Condition

As any of you that read the post I wrote last night know, I have some drama going on in my personal life. It was intended to be posted on my personal blog (and I've since moved it there) but, as it was posted here in the first place, I realize that many people read it, and many gave good wishes, thoughts, and prayers. All are appreciated. I want you to know that I am fine, that things will eventually work out as they always seem to in life in the way that fate means them to.

What stood out to me the most, though, was how we can all relate to the human condition, to the tremendous pain (in any of its manifestations) that impacts all of humanity. It seems that this deep-seated hurt, this feeling of being so overwhelmed by pain that you don't know what to do, is something that everyone can understand, that everyone has felt on some level.

Can anyone truly understand someone else's pain, or just the depth of agony someone else is feeling? Is there a point in sharing your private hurts in detail, or is it enough to say, "Gee, you know, I have some bad stuff going down right now?"

And really, in the great scheme of things, is there anything anyone can do about the pain of others other than sympathize, empathize, send good thoughts and well wishes, and hope and pray that things will change for the better?

Is the human condition unique to each human, or do we all feel the same pain, just suffered (and dealt with, I suppose) in different ways?

10 comments:

  1. Glad that you're OK.

    Whilst we each experience life in our own unique way, it is possible for others to sympathise, empathise and understand. Not because they can be 'you' in that situation, but because they know what it felt like for them.

    The solutions and help that work for one individual may not help another, but knowing that someone out there understands will provide comfort and support as a foundation to find their own solutions.

    I hope we can give, and have given, you that foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough I never assume that I have it worse than someone else. Even when I relay all the crap I'm going through to a trusted friend, they are always astonished. I'm always thinking...really? You mean this isn't normal? Haha. But I also hear people that are dealing with far much worse than me and think, how are they doing it all?? I can't imagine dealing with that.

    Its funny that we've been given the ability to continue as if nothing were going on. I think that is why many of us do say "Gee, you know, I have some bad stuff going down right now..." because we realize that someone out there has it much worse than us and they're still trekking along without so much of a mention of it.

    It's the reminders, and the venting, and the cries over coffee with a girlfriend, and personal blogs that remind us that we all are human, we all deal with crap, and we shouldn't have to do it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a topic of interest to me...I studied humanities. the human conition is all encompassing and goes back to the beginning of time. Interesting stuff. Clover is right...we shouldn't have to go it alone! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think people are able of great empathy.Our situations and dramas might be different at the causal end, but I believe the depth of suffering is the same and we can all connect this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have things that we deal with and have to learn to understand. It is part of the human condition. We can all identify with each other on different levels. For example, I don't have to have experienced the same loss as someone to be able to understand their pain at the loss. I do know what it is to lose something or someone important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry that you are having to endure "drama" at present...hope you sail into peaceful waters soon! All the best to you~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such broad questions! I think all humans are at least capable of empathizing with most kinds of pain. I am glad you are doing better. *HUGS and COOKIES always help, too* :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think when you're in pain it doesn't help to know that other people have suffered too. What you really want at that moment is for the pain to end, which it unfortunately won't. So we do the best we know how, we offer comfort and support, knowing it won't really change anything. Seeing other's people in pain makes us feel powerless and useless, and we fight that feeling by trying to do something useful and meaningful.
    I think we all feel it the same way to some degree, which is why we feel so compelled to "do" something about other's pain. Yet when we suffer we seem to feel all alone and that no one can understand. It's just the nature of pain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I've learned from spending the last several years in settings where people go out of their way to share with one another is that the parts that everyone who hears it can identify with are pretty darn broad. Even from people where you might not have expected it. So there's my $0.02. And girl, if you want to talk about alcoholics and/or alcoholism some time, just send a coded message my way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so very much : ) I think this is one of those issues that will always be in the back of our minds ... hence the human condition perpetuating. Rather intense when you think about it long enough, really : )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...