Friday, March 20, 2009

Pulling Weight in the Family Unit

I don't write a lot about Addie on this blog, not because she isn't beyond amazing but because she is extremely private and sensitive about me talking and/or writing about her. She becomes irate, for example, when I talk about her to my students ... so the notion of writing about her on a public blog is sort of flirting with certain revenge.

I have to, though. She is just that remarkable (I'm not putting a picture of her here, though ... she might well kill me, plus it would embarrass her). Anyway, Addie isn't her real name, so I guess that lends her enough anonymity. Well, hopefully.

Basically, Belle has been sick this week. She hasn't been able to attend day care this week, and Pythagorus and I have taken a lot of time off this week (not a good time of year for either of us to miss work). Addie has today off from school (her district has a teacher workshop day), and when I asked her if she would babysit Belle, she was happy to do so. She didn't complain or whine or discuss her preference to sleep in, like every other fourteen-year-old in her grade no doubt did.

I've talked to her once, and we've been in e-mail contact (she's been e-mailing me links to attire from those annoyingly expensive mall stores that she'd like for spring), but I'm just touched again by how responsible and willing to pull her weight in the family she is.

I won't brag about her all honors classes and writing prodigy status and musical talent and how just beautiful she is (okay, I guess I just did) for right now ... Addie is without a doubt one of the kindest-hearted people I know. I have so much respect for her. I am so proud of her.

If you read this, Addie, know how much I love you and how much you are appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Thats really cool. I have to say the same thing of my 15 year old. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely moments where he acts teenagery. But when it really counts, that boy kicks in and does whatever he needs to. The past year has been exceedingly hard on all of us, but I have had to depend on him alot of times to help us get through some things. And amazingly, he has done so with very little complaint. Ain't it great when your kids really turn out awesome? It makes me so proud to be able to say I'm their dad.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...