Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Workaholic

Okay, I'm officially a workaholic. Who in their right mind wouldn't rather be home than at work? Uh ... me.

I hate missing work. It's very possible that this is due entirely to the field I'm in, but I suspect that doesn't have as much to do with it as I once thought. I didn't work last summer, and I almost drove myself insane, never mind what I did to Addie, Belle, and Pythagorus (also the dog and cat).

Of course, I can remember enjoying days off when I worked in other fields, but that's more than likely because I didn't really love my job. It's weird, but Belle has been pretty content without me hovering over her, and I'm finding myself at loose ends.

Also, there's so much going on at work that I feel wrong for not being there. My family always comes first with me, but days like today are kind of difficult. Belle is too sick to go to daycare, but healthy enough to eat a Burger King kid meal with great enthusiasm. My black lab, Sonja, is pretty pumped because we have to crate her during the day when we're all gone (she does things like eat socks and underwear when she's out ... that surgery's pretty expensive) and instead she gets to run wild with Belle.

All I can think about are the things I should be doing at work. What is wrong with me?

3 comments:

  1. I think we all get preoccupied with things left to be accomplished at work but sometimes you just have to leave it there, my mother is a SPED teacher and she's learned to enjoy her summers off and vacations, of course she is also 62 so she's slowing down (sorry mom!) due to that. But she loves her job when she's there, she worries quite a bit about stuff during the week, but once vacation comes she can let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I loved my job that much. I don't think there's anything wrong with you. You're totally lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a day off, but then once I have it, I can't enjoy it either. I feel... I think the word is "guilty." Even if it's to be home with my boys who are sick or because I myself am sick. I just don't do well calling off. I do think teachers are more prone to this, however. I remember (back when I taught) how missing one day would make so much more work for myself when I returned. (bad sentence structure, moving along.) And my husband hasn't missed one day this entire school year or last. (He's a teacher too)

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...