Saturday, August 18, 2012

Rereading Books--Do You or Don't You?

I am an avid rereader of books, and I find myself having to explain why on a fairly regular basis in a variety of settings and situations.

I don't know why the concept of rereading is so foreign to some people.  I can't imagine just reading a book once, and saying, "That was cool" or, "That really got me thinking" or, "I am so appalled at this piece of garbage I can't understand how it's on the freaking best-seller list when I can't get my book published", or whatever.

The only argument I can think of against rereading a book, in fact, is the reality that there are so many books out there and only a limited amount of time.

But I am a dork.  I don't just read books, I live them.  I allow them to change my life, my philosophies, my beliefs, and my outlook on things.  Many of my books are in execrable condition, in fact, because I fall asleep on them, write in them, and occasionally throw them against the wall (yes, Stephen King, it's true ... I should have heeded your advice toward the end of the final Dark Tower book and just stopped when you warned me to).

I also learned how to read at a freakishly young age.  I read Cujo as a first grader, and as you can imagine, the book is rather different as a teen or an adult.  I can remember picking up a copy of The Thorn Birds at my family's beach house when summer when I was eight or nine (I'd read pretty much every other book there by then) and loving the writing, the history, the characters, but knowing somehow that I was missing the point.  There are some points you just can't get when you haven't reached puberty.

I've also found that books are very different to me based on where I am at in my own life.

I have read this book over 200 times.  I also teach it.
I was a child when I first read To Kill a Mockingbird, and so I identified with Scout.  I was a tomboy.  My father was a lawyer, and not just a lawyer but one that was occasionally involved in cases that touched him on a moral basis.  I was a tomboy with an older brother.  And so on.

As I grew older, though, I read Harper Lee's masterpiece through many, many lenses.  When I became a teacher and realized the cruelty that some kids are raised with, my heart ached for Boo Radley and the Ewell children.  Coming to the whole "the universe works" conclusion about life, dealing with rape on a personal level, recognizing that there are truly evil people in the world, understanding that change comes through a lot of hard work and bitterness over the course of time ... TKAM was always there for me.

And then there's the enrichment that TKAM gave me in terms of other works of literature.  I loved Joe R. Lansdale's The Bottoms (and strongly recommend it if you haven't read it), but I would not have appreciated it the same way if not for Lee's work.  My Truman Capote phase was far cooler because I just thought of him as Dill.

It's not just Harper Lee and, of course, Stephen King (whose Dark Tower series completely altered my belief system).

Simply put, there are almost no books I've only read once ... and I've read an awful lot of books.

So how about you?  Do you reread?  Are you a selective rereader (in other words, are there some books you'll tackle more than once, but it's not the norm)?  Or are you of the ilk that reads a book once and calls it good?

I don't judge any approaches, by the way ... I'm just curious about where the wider world stands on the issue (I know my family, friends, and students think I'm kind of bizarre regarding books).

7 comments:

  1. Yup, I reread...tho, not as much as you. You wouldn't listen to a good piece of music only once, would you? Read on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely reread. I've read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban about thirty times. I've read most of the Wheel of Time books four or five times, and the same with those of the Lord of the Isles series that I can find. I read the Animorphs books to DEATH as I was growing up and looking forward to the next release.

    I'm also the same way with a television series that I enjoy. I hoard television episodes on my computer so that I can go through and rewatch. I probably rewatch Babylon 5 and The 4400 at least once a year, if not twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, "Prisoner of Azkaban" is my favorite HP book :-) I actually reread the series each summer. Last summer, I read them in reverse order (which was cool and sounds intentional, but it only worked out that way because I knew where the 7th one was but couldn't find the first one anywhere). This summer went like this: 5, 3, 6, 7, 4, 2 (and my third grader and I are rereading--heehee--#1 at the moment)

      Delete
    2. I remember Animorphs, my mom got four of them for me from a friend and I was always begging her to buy me more. She never did so I would read them again and again.

      Delete
  3. I also reread A LOT! I've read the Harry Potter series quite literally 20 times each (I have a hard time choosing a favorite but it is out of the 5th, the 6th and the 7th. I also read many other series over and over again, in fact that caused a problem when I was told to get rid of some books before moving, I could not decide which books I would want to reread in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an avid re-reader of books, and like you I find it hard to believe there are people who don't reread. Actually most of my reading IS rereading. I'm not good with trying new things though. But there are some books I absolutely adore and will reread every so often. I like to leave some time so I forget some things. A book is never completely new, but it can become newer. Plus there seems to always be something you miss, be it a bit of information, or a connection. It can be fun to reread a book and think to yourself "So THAT'S why...". Rereading is a great thing to do, and you can always enjoy your favourites again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely reread books, but I do go back to some short story collections. I just prefer to read something new each time.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...