Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lots to be Thankful For ...

I'm not a huge fan of Thanksgiving.  I know, I know, downright un-American, right?  The thing is, it bugs me that our society feels compelled to focus on being grateful one day of the year and foster sort of a dog-eat-dog mentality the rest of the time.

Oh, and I hate turkey, stuffing, gravy, and so on.

But the world doesn't center around my culinary tastes, and I'm as bad about only taking the time to fully, deeply count my blessings on one day in November as anyone.

I challenge you to contemplate your own good fortune (and we all have lots, if you think about it), and also to write about it ... and I encourage you to either leave a link to your own "thankful" post or to leave a comment about what you're grateful for.  I'd love to read the many and varied directions thankfulness can go in ...

Also, I've done something like this on my blog before, and it's kind of funny to read it now ...

As for me, I am especially thankful for ...

1.  My daughters.
I know this is a contrived answer for a mother to give, but I can't help it.  My children are the funniest, kindest, most extraordinary people I know.

It's been a big week for both of them, too.

Addie made All-State Orchestra (you can hear her play on this post), raised her SAT score to a 1750, and had an idea--a random act of kindness--that turned out amazingly well.

Belle has apparently acquired representation in the world of child acting and modeling.  I'm still not sure that I'm ready to embrace this with open arms, but it seems to be what she wants, and I've raised my children to reach always for their dreams, so ....

2.  My mother.
While we still don't get along much of the time and much of what she does confuses the hell out of me, I really appreciate everything she has given up to let the girls and I live with her.

The girls and I spent the afternoon baking with my mother's best friend from high school, then we went back later (with my mom) to eat dinner with her.  We got, as usual, a bit loud ... my girls have gotten the message that our family values laughter to a tremendous degree.

My mother was joking with her friend (who lives alone) about how nice it is to have us visit, but she can have her quiet, peaceful life back when we leave.  Of course, my mother does not have this luxury, since she's kind of ... stuck with us, at least for a little bit longer.

She has given my girls so much love and support, and I will always be grateful to her.

3.  Henry.
Nobody wants to hear how amazing your boyfriend is and how happy you are.  It's boring and drama-less and just not fun to read about.  I am very happy.  Very, very happy.  Very, very lucky.  And very, very thankful.

4.  Dunkin' Donuts coffee.
That should really speak for itself.  If you don't live near a Dunkin' Donuts and love coffee, you're missing out.

5.  Recent life developments.
Details at some point, I'm sure, will be forthcoming.  For right now, I'm just thankful for the winding roads that life sometimes drops you down on ... even if you have no idea how things are going to end up, living the proverb "May you live in interesting times" is exhilarating.  I suppose ...

So that's what I am focusing on tonight in terms of gratefulness.

Where are y'all at?

7 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Dunkin Donuts. Not the coffee, since I'm not a fan of drinking coffee, but the donuts part. I'm with you there. All the other things, too, but donuts for sure. :oP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a great year. Really sick last month (104.5 temp) and still haven't found a pain med. Every year, I say, "I can't wait til this year is over." 2011 is no exception, unfortunately.

    Although...I am grateful for my friends and my man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well because you asked lol, I did already do a "thankful for" post, but it was due to being given an award, I don't even know when thanksgiving is. http://theramblingperson.blogspot.com/2011/11/im-thankful-for.html#en is the link. It is always good to remember the things you're thankful for, and you might be a bit annoyed people are only doing it once a year, but you said yourself you find it hard to focus on what you're thankful for. If you didn't have a special day to do it, it might never get done at all. Doing it once a year is better than never at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww.

    Did you know that it has been proved that if you write down three things you are thankful for, or three events that well in the last week, your happiness will improve?

    Now you do.

    Enjoy the day off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't like Thanksgiving? Turkey?? STUFFING??? Blasphemy!! Just kidding. It's my favorite holiday actually. But I do agree with you. We should count and recall our blessings every single day! With the state of the economy, I know I sure do.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...