Friday, September 2, 2011

Accepting Criticism ... Along With a Special Thanks and a Really Cool Opportunity :-)

I truly believe that the reason my novel is still unpublished is that I suck at struggle with accepting criticism.  This is true in all facets of my life, but it's unquestionably the strongest with regard to my writing.

Why?  I suspect because, at least in terms of the tentatively titled Unbreakable, I put so much of myself into it, that I put many years of my life into it, that it has been a part of me for a very long time.

I spent a lot of this summer working on fixing up my novel, based in large part on suggestions and input from you, my lovely readers.

So I'm going to ask you to please do it again ... how's that for grateful ;-)?

Marcy over at Mainewords and Dianne from In High Spirits collaborate on what they call "First Impressions".  Basically, you can submit the first page of your manuscript, and both Marcy and Dianne will critique it publicly on their respective blogs.

If you're a writer, I strongly recommend this great opportunity.  I mean, the hardest thing to hear is that something that you've poured your heart and soul into stinks ... but at the same time, receiving specific feedback on how to improve it from fellow writers is absolutely invaluable.

I'm not getting torn to shreds, actually, which is cool :-)  The big issues seem to be my use of a mother's use of "revulsion" in terms of her son, and my affinity for extremely long sentences.  Both of these are excellent points and remind me that I still have much work to do.

But I'm feeling great about it (my new mindset is permeating all aspects of my life :-)), and am now really interested in finding a critique partner and really, seriously, 100% aggressively delving into getting that book published instead of waiting for someone to say, "I read an excerpt of your novel online, and it's amazing.  I'd love to represent you!" because clearly that is not going to happen ;-)

Anyway, special thanks to Marcy and Dianne, and I hope that you will go over to their respective blogs and add to the critique fest ... myself and my novel need all the help we can get ;-)

And again, please consider submitting a "First Impression" piece to these two wonderful ladies ... you won't be sorry.


6 comments:

  1. Not finishing what we've started is a problem for many writers. All of us have novels we've written that are worthy of publication if we'd just finish them (I mean, revise, revise, revise until we just can't change anything else.) Most of us keep going on to something new without finishing what's right in front of us. Obviously, some of our early writings are not that good. But, by the time you've written a full-length novel, you should have something to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie -- You are more than welcome! And we never, ever rip anybody to shreds. Promise!

    By the way, I liked your use of the word revulsion. It shocked me and hooked me immediately. I loved the honesty of it.

    As for accepting criticism, I go through 4 stages when I read notes from my various crit partners:

    1. What? She can't be right about that!
    2. Okay, she might be right about that, but I can't fix it!
    3. Oh, wait. I can fix it.
    4. Duh. How dumb was I and what would I do without her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitie, so glad you're happy with what we had to say - I always worry a little about hurting people's feelings. And while I did question the word revulsion it was definitely a shocker and a hook to keep reading. As for Dianne's 4 stages, I completely agree!

    and again, great dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are in a good place, and I like that! Stay strong girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you have difficulty because you've been criticised so unjustly in the past in other areas of your life?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think perhaps you might focus on the pleasure you get from writing, than on the displeasure you get from being ignored.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...