Sunday, August 28, 2011

"Come On, Irene": This Was Supposed to Be Funny ;-p

For some reason, the song "Come On, Eileen" by Dexy's Midnight Runners kept coming up on my iPod yesterday.  Like, it was almost ridiculous, sort of like how Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" seems to pop on during the first day of school each year (and periodically throughout the school year).

And naturally, given the current hoopla around formerly-hurricane-now-tropical-storm Irene, my brain kept hearing "Come On, Eileen" as "Come On, Irene".

When I went to bed last night, shortly after watching the simultaneously hysterically funny and really depressing clip of the people gallivanting (and streaking) about during Weather Channel coverage in Virginia, I contemplated how the norms of society have changed.

It took watching people run amok in a hurricane to see it, but the media making every little thing into a big deal and people thinking they can live forever and storm chasers and reality TV and ... 

Wait, this was supposed to be a funny post.

As I was falling asleep last night, I made up in my head a Weird Al-esque version of "Come On, Eileen" entitled, of course, "Come On, Irene".  

It was wicked funny last night (there's my New Hampshah dialect coming out ;-)), but I can only remember bits and pieces of it now (I hate it when that happens).

So use these lyrics to go along with the video below.  It kind of works.  A little ;-)

"Come On, Irene" (inspired by Dexy's Midnight Runners' "Come On, Eileen")
Poor old USA
Feeling beat upon the whole east coast, her shores battered by wind and waves.
One weatherman cried at crazy streakers, and who'd blame him?
Now you've shrunk, much shrunk, now I must say leave already.
Go Toora Loora Toora Loo-Rye-Aye
and we can pick up broken branches …

Come on, Irene,
I swear (well he means) you have not brought out the best in us,
With you on TV, you’re celebrity, and people are dumb,
Ah, come on Irene.

I’m no shrinking violet, I love adventure
Much as anybody, but you’ve got to respect nature.
And the TV tells us, we’re invincible, we are far too young and clever.
Remember Toora Loora Toora Loo-Rye-Aye
Irene, why do people think they’ll live forever?

Come on, Irene, I swear, this is strange,
How your advance is  
Showing lots of things …
My yard is a mess, Irene (what a mess!)
The lights, they flickered, Irene, please …
Just go, come on, Irene!


5 comments:

  1. Irene was mostly media-hype, just as I suspected. Unless you're in a flood zone, or there are big old trees nearby, don't sweat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The media live to make things appear more exciting/dangerous/cynical/furious than they are. In sports a manager/coach will say 'We are interested in buying that player, who wouldn't be' and the press report that they will make a large bid any day now.

    A politician will say, 'We may send advisors to help' and the press say that the army's going in with all guns blazing.

    As for the song lyrics, classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was too witty! Very well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather channel always sounds like they're calling a football game, complete with sideline reporters onsite getting washed into the sea. I don't watch.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...