Friday, July 29, 2011

Root Canal :-(

This has been the summer of the dentist for the girls and I. I'm sitting in the waiting room of the endodontist right now, contemplating a very real problem.

I don't have dental insurance. Now, I have excellent medical insurance but, when it comes to the dentist (including the endodontist who will be doing a root canal on me shortly), it's all out of pocket.

I am fortunate--my mother is willing and able to loan me money for the dental dilemma should it become necessary (it hasn't yet, thank goodness).

I am feeling like the biggest jerk in the world, though, because I, from my orthodontically perfect smiling ivory tower, have made fun of a lot of toothless (or green-toothed) people.

It never occurred to me how lucky I was as a child that my parents had dental insurance.

This root canal is probably going to hurt a lot, and I kind of deserve it for my hubris...

7 comments:

  1. Hey Katie,

    You don't deserve tooth pain - no one does really.

    I hope you are feeling better soon.
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I know that pain. Dental insurance sucks. The medical I have is fantastic, and was great putting two kids through the NICU. But I haven't found a single dentist who will take my insurance. And it's freaking MetLife! It's awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds awful. I'd ask for laughing gas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! I had root canal treatment and almost opted for an extraction, but so glad I didn't. Stick with it, it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Root Canal...ouch. Paying for it...Ouchy ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah hope it went well. Have you ever read my tale of the root canal? You should: http://bitly.com/hUABkH

    BTW, I did have insurance and it still cost me about $2000 for one tooth. ARG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I don't know if my link worked, but go to my Gallery page and click on the link for DR. KERMIT & THE ROOT CANAL.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...