Saturday, May 28, 2011

Interesting Reading ...

I love to read blogs. Love, love, love it! I don't always have the time to leave comments and such (although I'm making more of an effort, because I know that I LOVE to read comments...not a hint or anything ;-)), but I do a lot of blog-reading.

Which is why I think Natalie from Mommy of a Monster and Twins is a genius for posting not just a list and descriptions of good blogs, but for specific noteworthy posts she's come across in the past week. Therefore, I'm stealing her idea (hopefully she doesn't mind).

The first one is kind of a cheat, since I wrote it. Still, I'd like to share with as many people as possible the story about the middle school girl who posted on Facebook that she wished Osama bin Laden had killed her math teacher. There's conversation going on over at Zelda Lily where it's posted, so feel free to discuss it there or here.

Do you find the word "moist" to be offensive to women? Evidently, some women do, and an exploration of why this is equated with ... womanly parts instead of, say, brownies, is extensively explored here. Very interesting read!

I suppose on some level I knew that dandelion wine actually existed. However, I never dreamed that I'd get to see what it looked like (in different stages of creation, even), and especially getting a recipe that I'm *gulp* contemplating giving a try.

For those of us that are writers, description is an area of concern. Do you want to be bare bones like Hemingway? Effusive? How much is too much? Now, thanks to this post, I'm thinking a lot about description in my own writing (and, by the way, my own approach is that I try to use dialogue to convey description).

The magic of childhood is explored extensively in this post. Taking the time to remember the good times and the bad (and the worst) is always a good thing to do, and the pictures here are priceless. I left a comment there that was pretty much a blog post in itself, just because I was so excited by the memories evoked.

I love to hear the parenting woes of others. Goodness knows my own children drive me to distraction at times (currently, Addie is still dragging her feet about getting her first job and Belle is being Belle--which, if you're a Boston Red Sox fan, is akin to "Manny Being Manny), so it's always nice to hear about the tribulations of others, particularly when they're presented in such an interesting and humorous way.

Even though I'm known for being a reader, I also love movies. I don't like TV, but I'm a huge fan of movies. Like, all movies (except ones adapted from books, which is a different conversation). This is a great reminder of some of the great RomComs out there :-) Netflix is going to love me this weekend!

There are, of course, a multitude of other great posts, but my mother is freaking out because the printer isn't working, so I have to go do my tech support thang.

What do y'all think of this idea? If you like it, I'll do it more often :-)

8 comments:

  1. I think this is a GREAT idea! Know what you mean about commenting - it really does take a huge amount of time if you're reading more than about 20 blogs. And singling out posts is really helpful, because I can't possibly follow every single blog I want to, so many get the go-by because the majority of their posts are not relevant to me ( I love to eat, for example, but not interested in cooking or reading about food). And yet, those blogs often have occasional posts that WOULD interest me, or are exceptional, and I miss them. So, again, this is a great idea, and I might sort of steal it and create a post once a week with my faves. (I'd also like to feature one new kid on the block; it's rough starting out, and so many people supported me that I try to return the favor when I stumble on one.) Now that I've clogged up your comment section.....have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certainly biased to this idea since I got listed. Wow - thank you. I'm sure you have heard that leaving comments helps bring in more readers. However based on just your one comment at A Few Clowns Short, I know you like to leave thought-out comments and not "cute" or "loved it". So those of course take more time. Mrs. 4444 has a saturday sampling feature on her blog that's similar to this idea. thanks again and I'm off to check out your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got moist after reading this post

    ReplyDelete
  4. No time now, but I'm going blog surfing ASAP!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never understood the whole moist thing. I'll go read the post and see if I agree or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind at all! I kind of stole the idea too ;)

    Love your picks and off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting. I like hearing what people think, even if it's what they think about other writers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gave me a shout-out. Because I am obsessed with myself, I checked out your checking out of my blog, which, because of you, others checked out.

    We have the same number of followers, which is kind of Zen. I feel like a real asshole right now for leaving this comment, but not enough of one to not leave this comment.

    If I drank, I'd hit some dandelion wine or some shit.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...