Monday, November 8, 2010

Thorns, Buds, and Roses

My school has something called Advisory, which is basically a small(ish--my Advisory is seventeen kids) group of students that have half an hour daily to do things like team building, study skills, listening practice, discussions on important issues (for example, we had an amazing conversation about wearing purple to support the recent highly publicized suicides by homosexual youths), and start to think about life and career goals. The incorporation of this sort of class is a growing trend, and it's kind of neat that my school is somewhat ahead of the curve.

Anyway, I mentioned Advisory because one of the activities that we are strongly encouraged to do with our students is called "Thorns, Buds, and Roses". (I've done a variation of this sort of multi-faceted reflection with my English classes for years now where the prompt for student writer's notebooks is "School: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly").

Basically, you're able to stop and think about where you're at, what's good (roses), what's not so good (thorns), and what sort of hopes you have on the bloom, so to speak (buds).

It occurred to me that this might be a neat blog post, so feel free to give it a shot (you can also focus it a bit--do it in terms of writing, in terms of your week, in terms of your day, in terms of your goals, whatever)

My Thorn:
Loneliness is killing me. I don't mean in terms of being alone--I'm surrounded by my students and colleagues all day and my family all night--but more a general impression that nobody understands me, that nobody has any idea of what goes on in my head (or even worse, that they really don't care). I have been used pretty relentlessly throughout my life ... but I was aware of it and it was something I chose to involve myself in. I'm at a point now where dishonesty and the "I'm there for you as long as there's something in it for me" thing are really starting to bother me, mostly I think because I'm there for people that need me no matter what ... I cannot comprehend people that don't have this mindset, although I'm starting to realize that I must be the strange one for always putting myself out there and getting nothing in return. Since I can't change the nature of who I am, though, this is going to be an ongoing thorn in my life--but I guess I'd rather that than become a person that I don't like. This might not make any sense ;-)

My Bud:
My writing. After a long (LONG) hiatus, I seem to be back on track with my writing. I've reread both the finished novel and the getting-close-to-finished one, and I'm really surprised and pleased at how really excellent I think they are. I've got a lot of ideas for finishing the WIP, and I'm contemplating redoing the query process with the finished piece. I'm really proud of the stuff I've been writing lately for Zelda Lily, and I'm also super excited about having rediscovered how much I love this little blog of mine :-) Hope springs eternal!

My Rose:
My students. There are days that I think I am completely wasting my time, and then there are the moments that I realize the little angels really do listen to me and care about what's going on. Seventh graders are reading The Outsiders and they can't get enough of that book--vehement non-readers are angry when we don't work on it in class. And my eighth grade classes are reading The Hobbit and, while they're not exactly loving it, they're getting something out of it (we talked about conflict today and how cool it was that Tolkien gives the reader a name for the internal conflict going on inside Bilbo--"something Tookish rose up in him"--and they really seemed engaged).

So there you have it :-) Leave a link in the comments if you decide to give it a try ...

4 comments:

  1. My Thorn: My disability. I've gone through SO much this past year and, so far, there's no light at the end of the tunnel. Just more trains.

    My Bud: My blog. I can express my thoughts and feelings without feeling judged (by family). And feel supported by 'strangers' who've become friends.

    My Rose: My man. After 7 years, he takes everything we've/I've gone through in stride. I need that. I know he cares deeply but he's not smothering (like my mom, lol!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Primer, Powder, and Bullet work better for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thorn: To plagiarize, loneliness. To plagiarize more - I'm similarly surrounded by people all day. But maybe the worst feeling in the world is not being alone but still being lonely. I still mourn a relationship that ended nearly a year ago. At this point, everyone - dear friends and family alike - are probably tired of hearing about it, and almost certainly don't want to hear me dwell on it any longer. The feeling of being 35, never married, and wondering what in the world could be wrong - and not knowing, and as such, not holding out much hope.

    Bud: Hope springs eternal, I suppose!!

    Rose: My family. My fat rescue dog who thinks my just walking through the front door is about the most exciting thing ever to happen. A successful career I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Makes me think of the Bette Midler song "The Rose":
    'Just remember in the winter,
    far beneath the bitter snow,
    Lies the seed, that with the Sun's glow
    In the Spring, Becomes the Rose.'

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...