Sunday, May 16, 2010

Why Don't Kids Want to Play Outside Anymore?

The answer to that question is, unfortunately, easy: because it's so much easier to park them in front of a TV, computer, or video game system. Come on, 'fess up, how many of you have said, "It's a Wii, they're getting exercise"?

I was reminded of this, one of my major shortcomings as a parent, this afternoon. Belle and I went up to Andy's to hang out for a bit. The day was gorgeous, just perfect, so Belle played outside and played hard. She and Dawn and the little girl from next door played house and ran around with a wagon and made up games with big rubber balls. Andy even flew a kite with the girls because it was pretty breezy.

If Belle had been home, she would have spent most of the afternoon watching "Phineas and Ferb" while I graded papers or wrote or whatever. It's really pretty horrible the more I think about it ...

The thing is, it's not just me. This is a widespread problem in America. Any ideas for a solution?

7 comments:

  1. For us now, it's usually weather related. We've had such a weird spring. Today was just gorgeous though and my boys were outside playing in the water literally all day. But we get stuck in that trap where we spend entirely too much time indoors too. Now that my youngest can ride his bike better, that's opening up a whole new opportuntity for us to get out as a family. :) And it's getting nice enough to kayak too. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, please post any kayaking pictures you take. Your pics are the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, these days, you can't leave your kids outside without worrying what might happen to them. And parents don't have the time to sit on the porch and watch them either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a problem. I used to play outside all the time. Back then kids had an imagination all of their own. But JJ is right, they have to be watched if they're going to play outside nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a matter of balance. Playing outside all the time is as bad as playing inside all the time. The social aspect can be done indoors or outdoors, the exercise, depending on age, can also be done inside or out.

    I hated being outdoors as a kid, so did my little brother. One of mine hates being outside, but you can't keep the other two indoors.

    My belief, is that if they spend a day indoors it's not a problem. It's when they spend their entire life indoors it becomes a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's television's fault. I have a "Kill Your TV" bumper sticker. I think that says it all. ;-) Deprive people of TV, you'll see a lot more outdoor activity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because parents would rather park them in front of the TV, so that they can work on the computer, and not have to worry about them in the yard. I live in NH, grew up here, we weren't even allowed in the babysitters house unless we were coming in to go to the bathroom or get a snack, otherwise, we were outside, running around, playing tag, dodgeball, baseball, riding bikes whatever. Then if it was raining really hard then we played in the play room in the basement, if it was snowing, we were sledding and making forts and snowmen. I spent time indoors, but I didn't have a TV nor a computer in my room, I had books and barbies to play with. I was allowed to watch TV on saturday and Sunday mornings because my bedtime as a child was 7pm. I didn't have a TV in my room until I was in highschool and I had to purchase it for myself.

    Maybe in our world where we have tried to make things so accessible and everyone to be "plugged" in that our kids no longer remember how to just have fun and be kids.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...