Monday, May 3, 2010

The Smith Delay

A running joke in one of my classes involves a certain student, Jennifer Smith (*obviously not her real name ... I mean, I use blog pseudonyms for everyone, but just wanted to make clear that I am especially sure to do so when referring to one of my students*).

Jennifer is a great kid, really funny and super-sweet. She is also quite intelligent ... but this is bogged down in what the class now refers to with the utmost affection as "The Smith Delay". To wit:

Student #1: How do you make a tissue dance?

Student #2: You put a little boogie in it.

(Uproarious laughter from the masses ... except for Jennifer)

Jennifer: I don't get it. What's so funny? I don't get it ...

Ms. L: Well, moving on ... Journalism didn't spread in America until just before the American Revolution because there was no real need for it. Newspapers were shipped regularly from England, and--

Jennifer: (Laughs uproariously) Haha, you put a little boogie in it. That's too funny. Haha!!!!!!!!!

Entire Class: The Smith Delay strikes again.

I mean, this happens every day. Well, not that we regularly tell elementary school jokes in class, but you get what I mean. It is just the funniest thing ever. And confession time, I did something really mean today. Jennifer's sister, Emily, came in to ask Jennifer to send a text to their mother at the end of the day. I just couldn't resist ...

Ms. L: Hey, Emily, do you have The Smith Delay?

Emily: (With a confused look on her face) Hunh?

(Entire class laughs uproariously)

Jennifer: That's The Smith Delay.

Emily: I don't get it.

Ms. L: Don't worry, you will in three minutes.

I LOVE MY JOB :-)!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Kids can be so great to work with! I have trouble getting jokes sometimes, too, but it's been getting better as I get older. Maybe she's grow out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart like Jessica Simpson? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! I love it! There is one Smith Delay victim in every class it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my case, it's 'the JJ delay'. I can never tell whether my man is telling me a story or something that really happened. Sometime I have to ask, "Are you making that up?"

    P.S. I posted my award. : )

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...