Thursday, May 6, 2010

Random Story Shared for Reasons Unknown

I went into Rite-Aid this evening to get a bottle of wine for my mother. It took just a second, and I was pleased to see that there was only one person ahead of me in line. Oh, if only I'd known ...

I guess Rite-Aid has those newspaper circulars with coupons in them right when you walk in. Well, the woman in front of me was one of those coupon ladies. Like, hard core! And then the worst part was, most of what she was buying were multiples and the coupons could only be used once. The customer was a good sport, actually (she had a Louis Vuitton bag, so I'm sure the coupons weren't necessary ... or maybe that's how she got her Louis Vuitton bag, by clipping coupons). Anyway ...

The cashier seemed rather excited to get in on saving this woman big bucks. She went and grabbed a stack of the circulars. And then--I swear this is true--took out a pair of scissors and started cutting out each coupon the woman needed and said, "I'll just ring them all in separately."

Now, this woman had a cart full of stuff. Full! I'm standing there with a bottle of wine that isn't even for me, and this is clearly going to be a lengthy procedure ... But then the customer, who seemed to find the whole thing amusing, said to the cashier, "Why don't you let the lady behind me go? It looks like she's had a long day." (I might have groaned a bit at the arrival of the scissors ... maybe that's what she was referring to)

Anyway, I bought the wine (twenty-eight seconds start to finish--yes, I counted) and went home.

I don't know why I'm posting about this, but I have a very strong urge to. It's odd. Is it because the customer was so decent? The cashier so dim? I don't know ... what do you think? What about this little exchange made me feel compelled to share it?

5 comments:

  1. Perhaps the customer's random act of kindness surprised you?

    I was in CVS this week to buy a Mother's Day card. The elderly woman in line in front of me was buying (I'm not kidding, because I counted) 15 bottle of liquor. Either she was throwing a Cinco de Mayo party or drowing her sorrows on Mother's Day because her kids ignore her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh to be able to buy a bottle of wine(or any kind of liquor!!) in a drugstore or supermarket! Where I live, you can't. That is why I marvel and get excited when we visit NH and ME(or just about any state but here..) and can pick up our beer and wine in the grocery store. How civilised!
    Anyway, I am glad it all ended better than expected for you--at least the customer wasn't completely clueless(even if the cashier was).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The LV bag was most likely fake!

    One time at a Dunkin Donuts a guy in front of me got into a huge argument with the lady at the counter because their sign said "99 cents" for a coffee but the state sales tax made it $1.04. He was livid, it was 7am on a Saturday morning and I had enough. I gave the guy a $20 and asked him to leave. He took off like he was on fire. Then I got two coffees and two bagles and the lady at the counter said "no charge". Unreal.

    Good to see you KLO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a world where there is so much bad news and horror stories about people, sharing something positive about someone is always a good idea.

    How's that for psychology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That WAS amazing, for the customer to let you go ahead of her. Such kindness is rare.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...