Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tired Children


This picture, I assume, speaks a thousand words. Maybe a million. And we haven't even skiied yet : ) Yup, Andy and his son Thomas crashed hard ...

There are six children with us--my daughters Addie (15)and Belle (6), Andy's kids Dawn (6) and Thomas (3), plus Addie's best friend Mikayla (15) and Andy's neice Jessica (8). It's a pretty full house, to say the least.

The ride up was a nightmare. My car is horrible in snow, and it was going all over the road, eventually hitting a guard rail. At that point, I refused to go any faster than ten miles per hour. Andy being the gentleman that he is (or else he just really wanted to get away from the younger kids, who were all in his car) offered to drive my car and let me drive his (far more suited to snow driving) vehicle. We moved pretty quickly after that, although I was kind of annoyed that Andy could drive my car with barely a skid--I guess when you know cars thoroughly, you can even get around the crazy winter driving issues.

Anyway, we got to the condo and had to bring the luggage up ... and some kids raring to get into the pool. We finally made it out to the pool, which was so cool. You get into the pool from inside a building, then you swim out and it's an outdoor pool. We literally swam in the midst of a snowstorm ... and it wasn't even cold : )

After returning to the condo, we all got into our pajamas and had dinner, pizza for everyone but Addie, Mikayla, and Jessica, who opted for Ramen Noodles. The little girls played hide and seek after dinner while the big girls burped (don't ask), Thomas played a computer game on my laptop (we're stealing someone's wireless ... I feel kind of guilty), and Andy just sort of relaxed (he'd gotten up at five to go to work, so he was entitled). I did the dishes and then got the girls to settle in, go to the bathroom, brush their teeth. We'd brought the game Apples to Apples (my highest recommendation, if you've never played it) and I asked Andy when I went upstairs to read a story to Belle, Dawn, and Jessica if he'd be up for a game. He said he would, but when I got back downstairs, he and Thomas had crashed on the pull out couch.

On the one hand, what a fantastic day : ) When children are tired enough to sleep soundly (and everyone is but me, so it's all good : )), you've clearly done something right. However, today was just preparation for tomorrow, when the skiing and snowboarding will transpire here at good old Sunday River.

How far can you push tired children before they reach their breaking point?

7 comments:

  1. I love Apples to Apples! Our friends gave it to us for Christmas. I had never played it before and we had sooo much fun.

    I think I would have had a heart attack if I hit the guard rail. I'm so glad you go there safely.

    Have a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet photo! And I love skiing..it is so cold here that skiing sounds perfect right now...sigh, we have no respectable mountains. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think of it as 'stealing' wireless. Think of it as 'public domain'. If they'd secured the network like wise people do, you wouldn't have access. Maybe they think they're Starbucks or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sweet tuckered out kiddie.

    Do you know that I just purchased the "Apples To Apples" game yesterday on an impulse in the store(felt it would be a good addition to my games collection and want a games night soon), and...one of my most memorable memories of a stay in the Wht. Mntns. four years ago this Feb., was swimming in the same kind of pool(heated, and going from indoor to outdoor), with the cold-0*F- starry sky overhead(no snowflakes falling like for you, tho)and my hair getting cold and crispy-icy and then dunking myself under the water to warm up. Heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it was a scary drive up, but I'm glad to hear you made it okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't played Apples to Apples, though I hear everyone talk about it. It's on my list! I need to just buy it.

    Trips are tough on kids. We take roadtrips often, and so far we have two little troupers. But they do get to that point where they drop, balls of energyless sweetness.

    Thanks for coming to my blog, Something She Wrote! It's nice to see new faces. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully your car wasn't too bashed.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...