Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Absent Adolescent Angst

Addie spent the afternoon shopping with my mother. She texted me when they'd been gone for a couple of hours to ask permission to get her hair cut. I texted back that it was fine, and then she walked in a little while later looking like this:



I pretty much burst into tears. She is just so beautiful and smart and kind and ... well, amazing in every way. It occurred to me that she will be getting ready for high school graduation (and college ...) in just two years, that this child I have loved and nurtured and laughed with and cried with is going to be on her own in just a few short years. She will always be my baby, of course, but she will be making her own decisions and dealing with their consequences for herself.

It always scares me to put this into writing (it's sort of like asking for trouble), but Addie is such a blessing, the great gift of my life. The kids I teach now are in her age bracket, and I thank my lucky stars for the absence of adolescent angst that Addie has always epitomized. I know you can never know your child 100% (or even 85%, and that's if you're really lucky), but I trust that Addie hasn't been to those wild parties I experienced when I was her age and that she has never touched alcohol or drugs (in large part because she's seen firsthand how addiction can ruin lives).

She is starting to really come into her own, though, and her beauty is only part of it. She is brilliant, a musical prodigy, and most importantly a kind and thoughtful young lady. She has brought me such joy, and it kind of bothers me that this hit me like a tons of bricks when she walked in with her new haircut and her eyebrows done, looking like a young lady instead of an awkward teenager.

There's a bittersweet element to parenting that is new to me (like, only a few hours old). Why is it that my heart is swelling with love for Addie and pride for who she has become even as it is simultaneously breaking a little bit at the realization that Addie is becoming more of her own person--more of an adult, though it pains me a bit to say that--and will be slowly but surely severing her ties to me with each bit of growing up that she does?

It's the most beautiful, terrible paradox I've ever seen ...

11 comments:

  1. She won't sever all her ties! I still visit my parents about once a week. ( I live twenty minutes away) and call my mom regularly. I think it's very healthy to have an ongoing relationship with your parents for your whole life.

    She is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice, to have a child of whom you can be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, she's gorgeous! And don't worry about severed ties. If you makee sure to keep the lines of communication open, they'll never be severed.

    My sibs are in their 40's/50's and the ones who live here come by ALL the time. The 3 that live out-of-state call mom at least once a week. And stay with us when they're in town, instead of with dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's beautiful, she's beautiful and you should treasure every moment you have. i'm worried about those teen years (mine's only 9) and am trying to enjoy her now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tribute to your beautiful, lovely daughter. Isn't it amazing to see them come into their own?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not even close to becoming a mother, but it has always been my opinion that there are some lucky parents out there, who have been fortunate enough to have a well-rounded kid, from age 1, to 99 years of age. What's the secret?, I wonder. And though certainly a good parent and guidance are important, it's a real mystery.
    I'm happy that you have been blessed with one of the "good kind". I'm sure she will forever be like that, and that she will forever be close to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aubrie: That's reassuring : ) Thanks!

    Marvin: Yes, although I am kind of haunted by the "pride goes before a fall" and all that ...

    JJ: I just had visions of Addie at 40 or 50 ... yikes! lol

    Julochka: Yours will be just fine :) Just enjoy the humor and the communication.

    Lotus: There aren't words to describe it : )

    Claus: I still haven't figured out how I got so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I totally get what you're saying. It is so bittersweet to watch they grow and change and come into their own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute! And I also have to say...how is it that your kid looks more like me than mine does?

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautifully written ... she sounds amazing! You've done well raising her! Has she read this? She'll treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sherrie: It sure is : )

    Bug (er, mmay): The estrogen levels are intense in our family. Testosterone, not so much? Um ... you're the scientist, surely there's a legit explanation ;)

    Kelly: Thanks : ) She hasn't, actually, because she would probably roll her eyes and complain about it being embarrassing lol.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...