Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Parental Approach to Their Children's Education: Please Weigh In!

I've been doing a lot of thinking since my post about Addie's adjustments to her Biology class. It occurs to me that I have another bright little girl just beginning her school career (she is reading in kindergarten).

Addie was raised with school being a very high priority. Her father and I are both teachers, and the value of education was never a matter for debate. Until she reached high school, I checked her homework every night. I'm so lame I even signed off on her agenda book, just to make sure she was writing in it. She knows that only As and Bs are acceptable grades, and she has a transcript that would make any parent proud (and even more importantly, she is a kind, loving, amazing, beautiful human being).

I was raised very differently. My parents and step-parents are all college-educated professionals (Dad is a lawyer, Mom is a nurse practitioner); obviously, they were people aware of the value of education. However, they gave Adam, Mary, and I little to no motivation to do well in school. They were examples, yes, and they'd help if we asked (we never did), but basically we were on our own in terms of what we did with the educational opportunities we'd been given. Mary responded to a recent post by reminiscing about doing homework for one class in the class before it was due. Adam's brilliance is certainly not evident on his high school records. And me? Well, summer school for math was the least of it. That being said, though, the three of us all figured it out for ourselves at some point. We all have cum laude Bachelor's Degrees, I have a Master's Degree, and Mary wins the prize with her Ph.D. Obviously, my parents did something right there.

What's interesting to me is that I adopted a very different mindset with Addie than what my own experience had been. This was in large part because I used to wish that my parents cared enough to read through my papers, to discuss the historical repercussions of a given event, or at the very least to make sure I didn't make any addition mistakes in Algebra II. I wanted Addie to know that I cared.

I learned through a recent discussion with my mother that their approach to our education had nothing to do with not caring and everything to do with wanting to be different from their overbearing parents that checked every aspect of their schoolwork. My parents wanted to give their children the freedom to learn for the sake of learning in their own way, at their own pace.

Is one way better than the other? Is it even possible to combine both of these mindsets? What was your experience with your parents and your education?

Belle's future as a student may well depend on your responses ;) I am aware, however, that she is extremely different than Addie, that Addie has the whole "Oldest Child Perfectionist Parent-Pleaser" mentality while Belle is ... well, probably going to have pink hair and a nose ring before she is twelve.

5 comments:

  1. Personally, I think it's best to give them the goal of having a lucrative career that they will enjoy, giving them advice on ways to reach that goal, and then letting them figure out how to achieve it. By checking their work, you send the message that you don't trust them to do it, and they will wind up resenting you and disliking the work. Better to convey the consistent message, "For you to have a good life, you need to make good grades, go to college, and work toward a successful career," and leave it at that. And if they decide to be slackers instead, then that's their decision, and you're not obligated to support them or bail them out of their bad decisions. If they understand that there is no safety net to save them, it's amazing how motivated they can be to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I don't know. My parents were very liberal with the way they raised me. I never asked for help. I'm a pretty independent person, and if they checked my homework every night, I'd be really ticked off about it. But. If I ever got anything below an A, there was hell to pay. Eventually, it just became routine that I would be really disappointed in myself if I got below an A (or really freaked out that my parents would tan my hide). I basically had a mental breakdown and cried my face off in front of my teacher and everyone when I got my one and only B+ in high school. I was so hard on myself, that actually, my parents were much more forgiving about it.

    My brother, though. He gets B's and C's on a regular basis, and my parents are getting more into the "we have to check your homework every night" mentality. He's just not motivated for school like I am, has a shorter attention span, and can't sit still. My parents are worried that when they set him loose in college, he'll stop aiming for decent grades, because they're the ones pushing him instead of the motivation coming from within. I don't know. I guess kids are different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother did not get any help or concern from her parents in regards to her education. She was on her own, and whatever result was entirely the result of her efforts. She was completely different with my brother and I, and was there for us even in the early years of college! Always caring and concern about our results and making sure we never forgot how important was to get a good education. Just like Addie, I always felt the pressure to please my parents with the best results, though my brother was a little more "free spirited", spending endless hours sleeping, eventually coming to his senses and graduating with honors, and getting a great job. However, I think that if I had a child, I would be exactly like my mom: I would be there for my kid, making sure she or he had everything needed to do good, giving a helping hand, and making sure he or she knew education is a key element in life, and ultimately, the best inheritance. What I have always wonder though, is how much is too much. Some kids seems to be perceptive, and aware of the effort and good will. Others, however, seem pressured and annoyed, showing a rebellious attitude.
    As my brother is now expecting his first child, I constantly discuss with my mother which is the best way to be a parent, and raise in the best of ways a child. It is a huge responsibility, but I always conclude there is no definite answer. There isn't a guide of the best parent, and no one is born knowing the answers. I personally thing it is important to be there for your child, in every way possible. Eventually, they will acknowledge the concern and care, and will appreciate it.
    My two cents :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think there is one way that suits every child. My three are totally different in their approach and needs.

    My eldest needs constant supervision and reminders. If not he either gets distracted or so locked up in the details that he doesn't get anything done.

    My middle son needs a prod now and then, but doesn't appreciate constant interruptions.

    My youngest son is going through school like a hot knife through butter and needs no oversight or prompting. he wants involvement in what he's doing, but asks for it and is silent when asked about school.

    My parents were of the 'let them alone' type. This suited two of my brothers, but not me.

    It depends on the child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we're going to ask rather than check. Instead of going through homework and making certain it's done (which I don't think I would have liked, honestly), we want to make a big point of asking "what did you learn today?"/"what did you do in English class today?"/"how did your math test go?" and such. That way he'll know we care and are interested, but hopefully will feel responsible/trusted/etc. I have no idea if that will result in anything other than a sullen "nothin'" mind you, but it seems like a good idea at this point!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...