Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Biology, Brick Walls, and the Piano

Last night, Addie had a little meltdown. I was taking Belle to the doctor where we got the H1N1 diagnosis (yes, I'm evidently cursed by this stupid virus) while this was going down, so my mom handled it. By the time I got home, Addie had just gotten out of the shower and, other than the "I've been crying" stigmata on her face, was fine.

She explained to me that she couldn't figure out how to do her lab report for Biology and it "made me want to kick babies." (At this point, my mother nodded wisely and added, "She did yell something about wanting to kick babies.") Addie is typically extremely even-keeled and mellow, so this was very out of character for her (and she would never kick babies).

She said she was going to bed, but I heard her upstairs playing the piano for quite a long time (I had to keep Belle up until ten to get her next dose of medicine). Addie plays the piano when she is really stressed out, and even though part of me loves listening to her play (she's pretty much a prodigy and composes her own stuff), it always makes me a little sad because it almost always means that she's upset about something. Talk about bittersweet!

Addie started Honors Biology last week with the change in terms, and the class is challenging her. She got the only 100 on the first quiz (it's hanging on the refrigerator ... I don't think she's allowed her schoolwork to be posted on the refrigerator for years) so, as usual, she's just being really hard on herself. The thing is, she happily gets Bs in Honors Geometry without issue--she's not ridiculous about grades in general. She just has this major hangup about doing really well in Honors Biology since she wants to be a doctor (a pediatric oncologist, of all things).

As a teacher, I cannot stand it when parents say to me, "My child is extremely bright and is not being challenged." As a parent, however, I'm very frustrated by the fact that my child (my very bright child, not to be obnoxious about it) was never taught skills and strategies for what to do when the work is difficult. Since she's never put more than 40% effort into school (and that only math classes, which have always been difficult for her), she does not know what to do.

I talked to her at length about some of the stuff she can do. She's making vocabulary notecards, reading each chapter and taking notes ahead of time so the teacher's lecture makes sense to her, and so on. These are skills and strategies taught to our lower- and mid-level students from elementary school all the way into high school, but students like Addie were given enrichment work instead of focusing on these things because an assumption was made that they were "smart enough" to figure it out for themselves.

I wish someone had given Addie a copy of Grey's Anatomy or War and Peace or something when she was eight or nine and showed her how to slow down, take her time, and work with material that is very difficult for her.

Education in America does not prepare our brightest children for the inevitable brick wall they will come to at some point. Whether they succeed or throw up their hands and give up isn't something anyone can predict. Addie will be fine--she has her piano, not to mention a family that loves her unconditionally and will work with her to teach her these necessary skills and strategies, not to mention coping mechanisms (and we're fortunate that the content is accessible to both my nurse practitioner mother and my Ph.D. Microbiologist sister, both of whom adore Addie and would do anything for her).

The disconcerting thing is, I realize that I am, as a public school teacher, part of the problem. What do you think--does public education in America shortchange our top students?

8 comments:

  1. I was in the gifted program since kindergarten, and always in Honors and AP classes in high school. I never learned how to study. At all. Not even a little bit. It was great in high school because it took no effort.
    College was a different story. It's not that college material was harder necessairly, just that more of the work was supposed to be done on your own, at home. And I had never learned how to study like that.
    It's good that you're helping your daughter as much as possible right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with MeganRebekah. Everything was easy for me until I got to college, but I think that if you reach college-level, most kids will probably figure it out fine. I mean, it was a pain, but I had to learn how to study for more than an hour, how to take notes (I never took notes), and all that other stuff that most kids have to do in high school.

    I think it's a good thing when a kid encounters something difficult and has a freakout session about it when they're younger. It's hard at the time, but looking back on it, you learn a lot more from when something causes you a whole bunch of stress than when you just cruise for years.

    I do feel a lot better about the grades I earn now. Every A seems that much sweeter because I worked hard to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with the other two. Honors classes, mostly (I didn't do too well in chemistry, lol) and I barely studied. I actually hate to study and yet managed to make a great GPA, etc. I do feel that the education in this area was too easy. Not that I'm super smart, just that we weren't challenged that much, imo. Even classes I didn't get, I still got As or Bs because the teachers simplified tests for us, or had open books, or gave curves. I think all of that gives students a sense of entitlement and also doesn't push them to work hard for their grade.

    I'm sorry about your daughter though. She sounds like a great girl and it also sounds like you guys are going to really be able to help her with this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same entirely for me! As you may recall, I was the queen of "homework is done during the class before it is due". I never had to try to do well enough. College was brutal at first for exactly the reason MeganRebekah gave. You are treated like an adult with responsibilities. The dropout rate for first-year students is incredibly high. I see a lot of students who are encouraged to memorize rather than think-it's a huge problem. If it would make her feel better, show Addie my grades from my first semester of college. It wasn't pretty, but I learned how to study and then I did better. It isn't necessarily the material-it is the study skills! She'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooooooooo there's a loaded question.

    (a.) I think that secondary education in the US (public more so than private) is more concerned with inculcating the proper attitudes in children than giving them problem-solving skills and actual useful knowledge. That same groupthink programming continues even more forcefully in college. It's very frustrating. Generally, bright kids aren't challenged at all. I certainly wasn't. I would have killed for a robotics program at my high school, such as are popular today at magnet schools.

    (b.) I think it's morally wrong to make everyone pay taxes to support the public schools. If I don't have kids, I shouldn't have to pay. If I don't drive, I don't pay road or gas taxes... it should be the same for education. IMHO. ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not have children but my mother is a Special Ed teacher in public school and I really think that the politics of schools are what get in the way of a good education, also the whole politically correct wave that has hit this country doesn't help either and that Parents/Advocacy Groups/Courts/etc. have taken discipline away from schools during the school day. The schools are churning out kids that have no sense of what is in store for them in the real world. It's a scary thought.

    She'll find her way. I used to have girls get so mad at me in college because they would be studying for weeks for a big final exam with flash cards etc and I would just review my notes and study those the day before or even just at breakfast and get better grades. It wasn't because I was some genius it's just the way I retained, if I studied for weeks on end with flashcards it wouldn't help me. I will say though, I took meticulous notes in class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW, check out this hilarious Aussie VRU message from a public school. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C5Rnb7J3sU&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I am a molecular biologist at a major pharmaceutical company. I can say that I had no idea what I wanted to do as a career until Honors Biology in sophomore high school. I had one of "those" teachers that just reach you and inspire you. I will never forget him. After that year I knew biotechnology was for me.

    I can say that high school could have been compressed into 2 years, and college the same, but you would miss all the life experiences good and bad. While I think education is important, I think personal development is a monster endeavor as well.

    Very interesting site, and thanks for stopping by mine KLo.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...