Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Vanity Plates

When I was driving home today, I saw a license plate in front of me that read:"KEEPBZS". I spent a ridiculously long time trying to figure out what it meant.

"Keep busy"? Perhaps, but why the 's' at the end?

"Keep bees"? A bit more promising, although I might have just been excited about being behind a beekeeper.

I kept running things through my head. Key peeps? Keepsies? It was randomly a lot of fun, which I've found vanity plates to be...even if you never know the intended meaning.

I used to have vanity plates. They read: "UONCRK", and I had them until I received notice from the DMV that someone found my plates offensive, so they were being revoked. Although she swears up and down she didn't, I remain convinced that my mother wrote that letter ;)

9 comments:

  1. Hi,
    i just visited your blog, its really wonderful. If we work together, we have a wonderful opportunity for you to make money with your blog. If you are interested please do reply. I will be happy to explain. Its a lot of fun and its not a lot of work either. So please do reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet it was! ; )

    Just the other day, I saw a personalized license plate that could only have been the vehicle owner's last name. The scary part was, the license plate frame read, "Proud grandma of... kid's name, kid's name, and kid's name (all girls)." I hope they're her (married) daughter's kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....I'm so slow, what does UONCRK mean? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in high school, my so-called "catchphrase" was, "ARE YOU ON CRACK???????????"

    I repeat, I'm pretty sure my mom wrote that letter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I love trying to figure out some of them. There was one the other day that said FITZH20 and I figured out to be Fitzwater which happens to be a friend of mines last name, I thought it was pretty clever. Well not to put your last name on the license plate, but that particular one. I think the majority of people in NH have vanity plates. It's kind of odd. My dads is FISHNRT for Fishing RT (Arthur is his name) and my mom's is Baklava (she's greek) My dad has another one which was his unit number in Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, haha! I get it now!

    I'm slow in the mornings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL @ your plates. Some of those can be pretty funny and some are pretty hard to figure out. I've never had a personalized plate myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They have a dark side :-) As I work in university hospital, I get to see MANY plates that clearly belong to total douchebags. DrC-PhD? DRBOB? JIMMD? DNARNA? What's a good way of abbreviating "I'm insecure"? IMINSCR? SMLPNS? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the UK, vanity plates are all but illegal. You can get a 'cherished' plate that matches your initials, but you can't fiddle about with the arrangement of the letters or how they look. At least that's the law.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...