Sunday, July 19, 2009

Why do People Always Complain About the Weather ?

I have probably said this before, but it probably bears repeating. The weather is an ever-changing state, a difference in temperature and precipitation and cloud cover. As such, it seems to be a solid last-ditch conversation piece.

I'm good with that. I talk about the weather as much as anyone. One of the reasons I love living in New England, in fact, is that we have four definitive seasons. Weather conditions are always changing, never the same.

My favorite season is fall (or autumn, for the more literary among you). If you've never been to New Hampshire in the fall, I probably can't do it justice. It's long sleeve weather, but you're comfortable. Perfect for going on long walks. Leaves changing to different brilliant colors that Crayola could never reproduce. The scent of apples on the breeze. No humidity. Skies of a blue so deep it could make you cry.

I hate summer, though. Hate it. I hate being hot and sweaty and sticky and miserable. If you're cold in the winter (or even fall or spring), you can put on another sweater or add a blanket or whatever. In summer, even if you walk around naked, you're still going to be hot, sweaty, sticky, and miserable (well, this is true for me, anyway ... not that I walk around naked, but you know what I mean).

But I'm honest about my hatred of summer. The fact is, I'm more than likely going to be a bitch from late June through late August, and I spend extensive time bemoaning the weather and wishing for fall, winter, spring ... anything that isn't horrifically oppressive. I'm probably not a lot of fun to be around when the mercury goes above eighty. On those winter mornings that are below zero, though, while everyone else is complaining about how cold it is, I'm just grateful that it's not summer. Eternally grateful.

What bugs me, though, is the number of people who spend all winter complaining about being cold and wanting summer to come ... but then, when it's summer, they go on and on about how hot, sticky, and uncomfortable they are and how they can't wait for winter. I tend to be rather short-tempered with these people--after all, I feel like I've earned the right to bitch and moan about summer since I don't complain the other nine months of the year.

To be fair, New Hampshire's summer of 2009 has been exceptionally cool (and of course most people have done a lot of complaining about that, but I digress). The last few days have reached the eighties, though, with fairly high humidity. The sort of weather, in other words, that does not bring out the best in me.

Perhaps that's why I've got such a bee in my bonnet about this right now. It just got me thinking, though, about why it seems to be characteristic of human nature to complain all the time ... and then, when your complaints are reversed, complaining about that.

Kind of maddening, if you think about it ...

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you when it comes to summer. I hate hot, humid weather! As everyone else around me is complaining about how cool and wet it's been, I'm basking in the glory of being able to wear an extra layer. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because they like the sound of their on whine?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am usually amongst those people who have something to say about the weather :) But this summer just can't be beat, not too hot, not too cool (unless you like it REALLY hot) and most people talk about how they can't believe how nice its been for summer! Astonishing I know :)

    But don't get me started on winter in Minnesota :) Hope you get some relief from the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the cold and I hate the heat: I hate extremes.

    The whingers? You've never heard a real weather moan until you hear an Englishman moan about our temperate climate. An inch of snow and the whole of the southeast comes to a halt: 28 degrees C of heat and a week without rain and we're convinced that the world's going to end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter is empty, bleak, cold, icy, slick, mean, and cruel. I hate the fact that I get sluggish and lose motivation. You just can't get out and about as much. WINTER IS SUCH A WASTE OF TIME :-)

    But I love spring and summer. I love the long evenings, the fresh air, the feeling of huge potential.

    Most people complain because they are never happy with what they have. And people always have to have something to complain about. The weather is just something they have in common with the Joe Shmoe on the other side of the street.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love summertime!!! Although I don't like the humidity, I love lounging in the pool and soaking in the vitamin d from the sun, drying my clothes on the line. ALL OF IT! I too love New Hampshire, I have lived in CA which was really nice too, but Christmas was never the same when I lived out there as it is living in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's 97 degrees with high (22%) humidity today - and I'm in a pretty good mood. I'm usually a bitch between October-March when it gets below 75. You should see the blankets/comforters on my bed in the winter...and this is So. Cal! In summer, I jump in the pool or take a cool shower. Instant relief.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, there is not much you can do in the summer...except for seeking out A/C...you would hate Georgia, we get tornadoes all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate summer, and I hate people who complain about rain (even if last time it rain was 4 months ago). Cold is cleaner than heat (sticky, cocroaches, flies, mosquitoes...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally understand. People will complain about being inside when it is beautiful outside, then go for a lunch walk, come inside and whine about it being too hot. It is only 80 out! They do this constantly. Many--note, not all--people are addicted to things being exactly the way they want them. I hear people vent about too much sun, but then b-word it when a single cloud comes into the sky. It drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...