Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Significance of Setting

As any regular readers of this blog know, I have three careers--mother, writer, and English teacher. I take all three of these jobs very seriously, and I've noticed since beginning this blog the overlap that exists between my triumvirate.

Sometimes I think my brain can only focus on one thing at a time. At the moment, I'm completely hung up on setting. I've been rereading both my finished manuscript and my current WIP frenetically with an eye to setting. It's gotten me thinking a lot about whether or not where a book takes place plays a major role with readers' experiences with the piece.

Let me explain ...

I've been rereading Dennis Lehane's mystery series featuring private detectives Patrick Kenzie and Angie Gennaro. As private detectives, Patrick and Angie are able to investigate cases differently than police officers (for example, one of their best friends sells guns to criminals, but he helps them get a lot of information because he's in the midst of that world). What I really like about these books, though, is that they take place in Boston. Since I only live an hour away from Boston, I've gotten to visit that great city quite a bit, and it's really neat to see places and landmarks I know incorporated into literature.

I have to admit that I enjoy the quick, fast-paced, ridiculously twisty-turvy mysteries. I eat them up like popcorn. I love Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware mysteries, for example, but I wonder if I'd love them even more if I'd ever been to California. Does it really make a difference? And could it even go the other way ... in other words, is my interpretation of Kellerman's depiction of L.A. more true of what he intends than it would be if I'd walked the city streets and viewed the Pacific on my own? Would someone who's never been to Boston feel differently about Lehane's works?

I'm teaching summer school right now, and Walter Dean Myers' Monster is a hot commodity. The book takes place in a juvenile detention center in Manhattan ... and, of course, a courtroom. It struck me today how kids in a small New Hampshire town are able to relate to this decidedly different setting.

So how important is a book's setting? Can it detract as well as add to a reader's experience with a book? Is it limiting? Would it be better to have a work that could take place anywhere, a book that could appeal to everyone through its universality? Is that even possible : ) ?

5 comments:

  1. I don’t have three jobs like you, I not a mommy. But I also think that I can focus on only one thing at the time too. Its like, you pay a little bit of attention to other stuff around you, but you mostly concentrate on one important task at the time.

    For me, the appealing of books is that they take you somewhere else. Of course when the setting is familiar to the reader it would be easier to relate to it, but if the book is good, and it gives detailed descriptions of the setting at the beginning then, anybody with good imagination can be transported to the place of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if the author does a masterful job of getting the setting right, it WILL be anywhere to the reader. That's something I strive for when writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think novels are great when they are grounded in a specific place with concrete facts that bring that place alive, but there are times when an amorphous setting is great. That kind of setting was perfect for Waiting for Godot. I just think it depends on what you're doing with your writing. If you do use a particular place though you have to be spot on with the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read a novel. isnt that sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...