Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Addie's Car Phobia

Addie is seriously petrified of motor vehicles. She hates to ride in a car, grumbles incessantly about taking a bus to school, and freaks out if a car goes by too fast (or too close) when she is walking.

I have to admit, I am not always the most patient person when dealing with this. It's kind of annoying when you're driving along and the car a mile up the road puts its brake lights on and your passenger literally hits the deck. We were at the toll booth a couple of weeks ago, and the car in front of us went through the toll then started reversing back toward us. There was a line of cars behind me, so it's not like I could back up or do much of anything. Addie was screaming, "Back up! Back up!" to me and was trying to get to the horn. The teenage girl--admittedly not looking to be the sharpest saw in the toolbox based on reversing into a tollbooth--was looking out her window as she backed up, to be fair, and she told the tollbooth attendant that she'd blown through because she was used to having an EZ-Pass. Stupid, yes.

But Addie's meltdown? Kind of ridiculous. If Addie was prone to meltdowns, I think I'd be more patient. However, since she's in general very level-headed, this issue of hers drives me crazy (wow, pun was completely unintentional there).

I bring this up because Addie went out with one of her friends today, originally to a local water park. It was closed due to rain, possible thunderstorms, and highs in the low sixties, though, so they ended up going to see Transformers 2 (by the way, the movie was pretty decent according to Addie). What I wonder, though, is if Addie acts like as much of a horse's ass when one of her friends is driving as she does when I'm driving. I mean, does she go, "Oh my God, Jenny, a Mack truck's coming. Pull over! Pull over right now!" or something like that?

As I've been writing this, though, I've been thinking about some of my own irrational fears. The big one, of course, is thunderstorms. I literally sit on the stairs and cry when there's a rumble of thunder. That's pretty stupid, really. I'm also too scared to get on an airplane, I almost pass out at the mere sight of a snake, and speaking in front of people in a formal setting (such as a school board meeting) is torture for me.

I guess in the great scheme of things, Addie's motor vehicle neurosis is no more strange than some of mine.

Any thoughts on what causes strange and intense fears? Any suggestions for getting over them? Any of your own you'd like to share?

8 comments:

  1. Spiders! Oh my ... MAJOR case of arachnophobia! Just think ... Addie's fear could help her - and maybe even her friends - be safer drivers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has Addie ever been in or witnessed a car accident? Hmm, didn't you blog about an incident a while back?

    My mom is the calmest person I know but I also know she has her own phobias. The thing is not to pass them onto your children by showing fear. I'm afraid of bees, because I'm allergic but spiders, snakes, heights, etc? Nope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fears include big spiders, injections and being in a plane. We all have our own irrational fears and its something we and others have to learn to accept...however irritating they are.

    As for Addie's fear, are you sure it's not just your driving ;-)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly--That's a good way of looking at it : )

    JJ--Addie witnessed a fairly serious accident when she was at the bus stop several years ago. I guess that might explain it : )

    Martin--I'm a really good driver :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I have to say I am just like your daughter since my accident last year with the mack truck that used me as a hood ornament. I was skittish, jumpy whenever anyone came remotely close to me and when driving in the car with my mother I probably have slammed a hole through her floor by now applying my imaginery brake, I had to go to counseling for PTSD and he used a method called EMDR and I didn't have to go long, this method although seems strange worked wonders on my anxiety involving driving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the bus stop accident might explain it a little, yeah.

    I have a crazy-intense fear of semi trucks. Always hated them, always will. I think it might be because I saw the aftermath of one that got into a very fiery and explosive accident once. Plus the fact that one ran my grandma and I off the road a few years ago. Yeah. Hate semis.

    As for irrational fears...I don't know. I have a very, very strong fear of the dark and a dislike of mirrors (which makes me a target for jokes, lemme tell ya). The mirror thing mainly comes from being traumatized with Bloody Mary when I was a kid. Eep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a fear of commitment. Does that count? :)
    TRUST is the scariest word in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Dutch donut girl,

    Me too! It counts!!! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...