Monday, June 1, 2009

Feeling Like a Scrub

Clearly, I have not kept up with my writing goals. Not posting on this blog every day is the least of it. The W in my WIP has not had any P in quite some time. Although I like to pretend that I can balance the three tiers of my life--mother, writer, teacher--it is just not always possible.

Teaching is always a challenge after April vacation, like pulling teeth after Memorial Day, and ... yeah, it's kind of sucking my energy supply dry. I wish that, like Eragon, I could store energy in an inanimate object to be kept on my person for times of need.

I have the added stress of trying to complete a final issue of the school newspaper for the year. I don't know why I didn't start focusing more directly on it earlier. I have no idea why my procrastination takes over and screws with my common sense. I don't know why I ignore the voice that says, "You might want to get cracking on that. You don't want the first week of June to come, and ..."

Well, friends and neighbors, it's the first week of June.

We've also had some serious family issues going on. Things are moving in a positive direction, but they're moving slowly. It's kind of hard to be upbeat, to be strong, to focus on the good.

Suffice it to say, my writing's in the backseat at the moment. I'm not happy about that--it's a place I've never before shoved my writing, in fact, which bothers me more than I care to admit--but it is what it is for the moment.

The time stamp on blogger.com is crazy, but it's 10:08 p.m. at my humble abode right now. The fact that, much as I'd love to crawl into my Sealy Posture-Pedic and fall asleep, I decided to post this rambling and probably incoherent ... whatever the heck this is ... hopefully is a way of me saying to myself, "Get back on track with your writing, stupid. Get back on track."

10 comments:

  1. *hugs*

    I hope things ease up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing generally has to take a backseat when life gets in the way.

    It's so easy to get off track in summer too. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *totally understand*

    6 1/2 more days of school... 6 1/2 more days of school... 6 1/2 more days of school...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always good to try to keep ypurself in check. Good luck getting back to your goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The writing will always be there and can be returned to. Family and life need sorting NOW. You have the correct focus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *crosses fingers for you*

    I hope all goes well with the end of school and the final newspaper. That's a huge job. It will all be over soon and summer vacation is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, as a chronic scrubs-wearer, I resemble your post title. :) And, yeah, my WIP's been riding in the backseat for awhile too, but things will change. Hopefully soon for us both. Until then, hang on and think to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Klo, please understand that writing is always there. Sometimes we have to live life instead of writing. And I've found that always provides me with more passion and inspiration than ever before. Don't forget your priorities besides writing! Sometimes I fail to remember that my family is more important than my book, or other such nonsense. If your job needs you, do it! Come back to your writing as soon as you can, and be happy if you can! I'm hoping you'll find that writing time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blog posting on a daily basis is hard to do amongst everything else. Don't worry yourself about that. You poor thing ... hope all starts turning for the better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...