Tuesday, May 26, 2009

What's Your Guilty Pleasure on Television?

I spent much of my life completely ambivalent about television. I mean, when I was a kid I spent Saturday mornings watching cartoons with Adam and Mary, but I was never obsessed with TV like so many people are. There were so many good books to read, know what I mean?

I was student teaching when the 9/11 attacks happened (I swear this connects to the topic at hand). My class was in the library starting a project when the librarian started having hysterics and screaming, "They're bombing the White House!" I do not do well in emergency situations, and this was of course the ultimate emergency situation. When I finally got home, my stepdad was watching the news. For the first time ever, he was not able to reassure me that I was safe, that my world was going to be okay. He was the bravest person I've ever met, and he just sat on the couch watching the news unfold, his eyes glued to the TV screen. I sat with him trying to keep my anxiety attack under control; strange as this sounds, the talking heads on the screen were reassuring to me. They were people, alive and scared and knocked to their knees, just like me. I watched the news almost obsessively after that. I slept with the cable news channel on, finding what comfort I could from staying on top of the "breaking news alerts", for over a year.

As a result, television lost its repugnancy for me. I slowly but surely branched out from the news and eventually learned to sleep without the television on, but I had become used to the TV as a means of relaxation, of coping with stress. I found that not all television was mindless drivel, that there was some stuff on the boob tube that could actually make me think and help me learn.

I'm not going to pretend that I watch all educational television, although I spend a disproportionate amount of time on the History Channel, National Geographic, Discovery (I adore Shark Week), and PBS (I think "Antiques Roadshow" is amazing). I never got into reality TV--I'm one of the few people I know that have never seen a single episode of either "Survivor" or "American Idol" or anything in between. Nope, I found my niche with the crime/drama/detective/courtroom shows. I enjoy the "Law and Order" shows, the "CSI" shows, things like that.

My ultimate guilty pleasure on television, though, is "NCIS", a show about Naval investigators. There are always twists that leave me guessing until the very end, the characters are incredibly rich (despite the outward shallowness of some of them), and the show does not take the easy road like many seem to. The line between good guy and bad guy blurs, the lead character deals with stress by building boats and drinking bourbon in his basement in a manner both tragically sad and eminently real, and the show sends the message that there is a place in the world for everyone to succeed. For some reason, watching an episode of "NCIS" gives me a level of pleasure that, in the past, I've only experienced when in the grip of an unbelievably good book.

So what are your thoughts on television? What is/are your favorite show(s)? Why? What role does television play in your life? Do you think there's a point of too much TV-watching? I worry as a teacher that my students spend too much time watching television (and playing video games, but don't even get me started on the V.G. word). What do you think?

15 comments:

  1. Ah, TV. We usually have the TV on in our living room because it keeps my brothers occupied. But that's mostly cartoons. When I get to watch what I want, I stick to things like Supernatural (best. show. ever.), reruns of Gilmore Girls and Dead Like Me, and the occasional reality show -- usually Project Runway with my mom. During the summer, when I'm at my nana's house with satellite, I watch the Discovery Channel.

    TV doesn't really play a big role in my life. It's on a lot, but I don't really watch it a lot. Usually I'm either on the computer reading blogs or reading/writing. But, yeah, I think there is a little too much TV watching in general. And there's hardly anything good on anymore. Most of my favorite shows have finished, and I watch them on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TLC!! :-D I work nights so I am behind on the primetime shows. :-( I mainly watch movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disney Channel. Lame, but true. I generally watch everything that comes on: Hannah Montana (reluctantly, I honestly rather dislike Miley Cyrus), Wizards of Waverly Place (WHICH I LOVE), Phineas and Ferb (special guilty pleasure), and Suite Life. I hate myself, really. I'm a grown college student watching TV for preteens.

    Also, MSNBC. Got into a habit of it during election season, still turn it on for political gossip (which is the best kind, naturally). I like political commentary, CNN is too dry for me, Fox too conservative. I have a massive girl-crush on Rachel Maddow.

    And the ever-popular Food Network. Watching people cook is oddly soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to adore Grey's Anatomy but I'm behind on 5 shows and don't really care when/if I see them.

    I like true crime shows (Nancy Grace for the stories, SHE bugs the crap out of me), Jane Velez-Mitchell, etc.

    I have the tv on most of the day (1/2 hour comedy reruns) for background noise while I'm online. I don't watch any current (series) shows on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a television only because of my husband and the kidlets. One of my kidlets needs the TV to help his system calm down. Personally, I'd rather be reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ghost Hunters...it's so awful, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 24 is my favorite. Fringe and Dollhouse are excellent. I also relax with NCIS and the CSI's and anything science related.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite show is LOST! But my totally cheesefest show I watch is One Tree Hill. It's so cheestastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing up we had three fuzzy channels. As a teenager we got satellite and it was like crack. I couldn't get enough.

    It got bad for a while but it's under control now. I love Weeds, Big Love, Californication and my gultiest pleasure is America's Next Top Model.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a TV fiend. Tivo just made it possible for me to watch and watch and watch.

    I watch Supernatural, Grey's Anatomy, House, American Idol, Bones, Ghost Whisperer, Dollhouse, Medium, The Office, and I recently started watching Lost. I'm on Season 2, renting from the video store, since it's summer and there are no new shows...

    Yes, I'm awful. For me, TV is for relaxing, unwinding, and escaping. :) And yes, the really good ones are every bit as enjoyable as a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grew up watching a lot of TV, but I rarely ever watch it now. If I do watch anything, it's usually the news or a DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! I have chosen you to receive the “Premios Dardo” Award. Please check out my post at: http://www.thewritertoday.com/2009/05/premios-dardo-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your award!!!

    I'm currently having a 'jon and kate plus 8' obsession. I don't know why. I just can't take my eyes off the train wreck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love watching Dhani Tackles the Globe on Travel Channel. It's a great concept -- learn about a people by learning to play their games. He's done some crazy sports!

    I also love Fringe. It's like Alias (made by the same guy) plus X-Files. I like that weird, paranormal stuff.

    There is most definitely a point where someone can watch too much tv. We had a time limit as kids and I fully intend to have a limit when I have kids of my own. That limit would include video game *and* non-school related computer time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lately Real Housewives of Jersey--I'm so ashamed! And for a long time, Top Model. Oh, Tyra.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...