Thursday, May 14, 2009

Finding a New Doctor

I have been going to the same primary care doctor for years. He's kind of a quack, but he was always entertaining and was willing to call in prescriptions to the pharmacy on my word ("I have a sinus infection ... could I get a Z-pack called in, please?") and ... well, I don't like change.

But Pythagorus (who also went to this guy) has had some serious medical issues in the past month, and this guy's practice totally dropped the ball. Like, totally. To quote my mother (she's a nurse practitioner), "Why would you put someone with asthma on a beta blocker?" But even that observation was kind of ignored by us because this doctor was just what we were used to. It wasn't until the recent drama that we realized this was a necessary step.

Well, Pythagorus' health has done a complete (and vitally necessary) 180, and much of the credit goes to his new doctors.

Tonight it is my turn. I'm about to leave for my pre-physical physical (they're evidently quite thorough ... and they have evening hours, bonus!).

How do you feel about doctors? Do you feel a strong connection with yours (I adore my gastroenterologist, for example)? What would make you leave your regular doctor? How important is a primary care doctor?

6 comments:

  1. I recently changed my primary doctor. I was the last hold out. He was good and I never had a problem. I just couldn't understand him (He has a THICK Indian accent)
    My hubby switched years ago because of the language barrier and because his office looked like somebody's grandmother's house. I finally swtiched because my hubby nagged me. LOL
    I rarely see him, so it just wasn't a priorty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just established a new doctor here in Greenville. I really like him...he spent a lot of time with me, answered a lot of questions, and asked a lot of questions. I felt that he was pretty thorough. Now I have to find a gyno. ICK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not too thrilled with the one I currently have, but she's the only one I've seen since moving to this state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoid going to the doctors and try to let my immune system protect me...unless I'm REALLY sick. And don't get me started on dentists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We move on a regular basis (every 3 or 4 years) and so I never get too attached to any one doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My doctor is young and a hunk so I always feel a little uncomfortable during his check-ups, but he is a very good doctor.

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...