Friday, May 15, 2009

Books that Changed your Lives

I've read numerous books that have changed my life in some way, shape, or form. The most obvious is Stephen King's The Dark Tower, which made me contemplate the world we live in from directions I never would have otherwise, but there are many, many others.

I've listed my favorite books before, but I got thinking on my way home from work that there are a lot of books that didn't make the "favorite book" cut that have still greatly impacted me. In some cases, I don't even understand why.

I have a fondness for Jonathan Kellerman's murder mysteries. My personal favorite, Self-Defense, is about a young lady named Lucy haunted by a nightmare. What made this book special to me is that Lucy is the daughter of a one-hit wonder writer of the proverbial Great American Novel (think Salinger).

Speaking of Salinger, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention The Catcher in the Rye. Holden Caulfield is perhaps the most honestly portrayed fictional character I've ever encountered. His obsessions, his obstinacy, his insanity ... it makes me feel better about what's going on in my own mind every time I read it.

When I was a kid, my neighbors left a box of books that didn't sell at a yard sale out in front of their houses with a "free" sign. I brought many of those books home, of course. One was a book called Angel by Samantha Harte (I think ... I'm not sure where my copy of the book is now). It was about a young girl traveling west with her family who ends up resorting to prostitution in the American frontier following a variety of family calamities. Very important lessons in that book, strange as it may sound. It was bawdy and crass in parts, but it was a very moral book at the same time, if that makes any sense.

Finally, I have to mention The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. Yeah, they're kid books (there are five of them). However, the imperfections of the characters made me love them, made the standard hero's quest tale truly unique (and I still haven't forgiven Pythagorus for not allowing me to name Belle "Eilonwy").

There are dozens, maybe hundreds of others, but I want to know what y'all have to say. What are books that have changed your lives? They don't have to be considered fine literature (I mean, Kellerman can tell a good story, but he's probably not going down in history as the next Poe or anything ... and need I reiterate, Angel by Samantha Harte?), but I'm just curious to see what people have to say.

And, of course, I'm always looking for books to add to my reading list ; )

11 comments:

  1. ah....The Catcher in the Rye! It's been awhile but I remember loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Catcher! Good old Holden Caulfield and his symbolic red hat. I can't choose just one book. I have to say that my obsession with historical fiction made me want to write. I suppose that's life changing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't a book, more a series of books: The Great Writer's. The 55 book series was first published in 1988 as fortnightly collection and I decided that I start collecting them to see if they really were awful, or it was just my teachers.

    The first book was Far From the Madding Crowd. Being able to read it and letting the writer speak for himself instead of having to pick it apart for meaning was liberating. So it was just my teachers.

    That, for me, was the turning point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the books that changed my life was "Procust's Bed" by Romanian writer Camil Petrescu. I felt an incredible connection with Mrs. T, the main character. Well, it was in those sensitive teen years. But I got reminded of it with your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I don't know what's changed my life, but it seems like the stories read in my teenhood stand out the most in my mind.
    Anne of Green Gables (okay, that was more elementary school)
    The Outsiders
    Silver
    Yikes, just tons of books really. I don't think I could choose a few. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find some of the books and authors have great impact on my life and I love to share with you.

    To find out, please follow the link below:-

    http://liftyouup.blogspot.com/2009/04/some-of-my-recommended-books.html

    Happy reading,

    Cheers and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'd have to say Little Women by LM ALcott. My mother gave me her copy when I was a young girl and I've read it every single year since. The story just resonates so with me, I guess... family and loyalty and forgiveness and hope. It's just a wonderful book!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The book that changed my life. Hmmmm. If I had to choose one it would be "Waiting for the Barbarians" by J.M. Coetzee.

    "The Painted Drum" by Louise Erdrich is a clsoe second.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved Riddle-Master by Patricia McKillip. Her writing is not only gorgeous, it has so much depth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many books have changed or affected my life, but I'll list just a few.

    The original Dragonlance series. They're the ones that started my writing.

    Villians by Necessity. It's out of print now, but if you can find it, I highly recommend it. It taught me a lot about characters and is to date the only book that ever made me cry for fear of loosing any of them.

    The Ancient One. Another great read, fast but addictive and since it's for younger folks, it was easy on the brain.

    Graceling. It has affected me profoundly, opened my eyes in more ways than one and is far more than just a great story .

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...