Saturday, April 25, 2009

A Surprise Adventure: Spring in a New Hampshire State Park

Do you ever have those amazing days you aren't expecting? Just, true pleasure from an adventure that came out of the clear blue sky (or a husband saying, "Want to go for a ride, see what happens?)?



Pythagorus and I took Belle to one of the state parks at Lake Winnapasaukee and had a great day. Belle, naturally, wanted to take off her shoes to "see how cold the water was"



Well, you can probably see where this headed. The next thing we knew, she'd discovered a "stick"



And then felt inclined to raise it like a flagpole



Next, of course, was when she "accidentally" fell into the water and got her clothes totally soaked. Do you believe that look on her face for a second? Totally. Staged.



But Belle was a trooper. Dripping wet or not, she continued down the hiking trails (minus her sneakers, which felt "funny" because of the sand inside them ... I love five-year-olds).



Addie is on an adventure of her own which I will expound upon tomorrow, but today was a very special, very necessary bonding day for Pythagorus, Belle, and me.

Question for you: Write about one of those surprise gift days (or gift couple of hours ... I know whole days can be a stretch :-)) that came up when you were least expecting it. Leave it as a comment here so that readers can experience your joy--fleeting as it might have been--with you. Oh, and of course so you can relive it yourself : )

Have fun : )

13 comments:

  1. Well that sounds absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had such a good day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, until we came home to the poor cat : ( But it all came out in the wash--er, straitjacket--so yeah, it was a great day :) Anyway, I think the subject of animals and their roles in a family will be the subject of a blog tomorrow.

    The only major downside was having to explain Charlie's random bald spots to the vet. She seemed more concerned about that than about the peeing blood thing. Sigh ... how the heck do you explain Charlie? And, being me, I said in my stupid, stuttering voice I get sometimes, "She's a very happy cat."

    I'm a freaking tool!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo like Belle! I love water too and both my boys are wild about water also. My daughter prefers drinks at poolside.

    Last year all 3 of my kids had pink-eye. They were in perfect health except for their goopy eyes and we had a day off and couldn't play with friends. So I took all 3 of them to the beach by myself, we had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, KLo, Thanks so much for stopping by my blog...actually, you stopped by my "chatty" blog (it's a blog where I experiment with layouts, talk to friends about writing, and reprint old posts from my other blog)...It's not my primary one, but is my "play" blog...my main blog where I post is http://snifflesandsmiles.blogspot.com if you ever want to say "hi" to me there. I'm absolutely thrilled to make a new friend... especially another Literary Fan! You have wonderful taste in books, and so I can tell I'll be a fan! And as I see you are a friend of C.Michael Cox, I am doubly happy to "meet" you!!! These are terrific photos,btw! It looks like you had a wonderful day! Cheers! ~Janine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte--Yeah, Belle was born with gills instead of lungs, I think. I swear, she'd go in the New Hampshire Atlantic in January if we didn't stop her : ) Your story is a perfect example of taking a negative and making it positive : ) The really neat thing is, that's likely a day your kids remember also. It's interesting how that works ;) Thank you!

    Janine--Welcome, and thanks for your comment. I enjoyed your "play" blog, which means I'm very excited to start reading your "real" one : )We had a wonderful day, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was gorgeous out yesterday, although sleeping was a bit tough as there was no breeze here in the city. Not expecting that. Today is shaping up to be a hot day too. I can't believe we broke a record yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, seriously : )

    I had a sweater on when we left the house yesterday (which is a good thing because I ended up having to wrap Belle in it), but it was completely unnecessary.

    I think we're installing the AC today ... : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Love those kinds of days!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matt--Me too : ) I wish they happened more often, but I guess they'd be harder to appreciate if that was the case. Oh well, I'll take what I can get :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sadly addicted to your blogs.

    However, the question posed made me think of my Friday afternoon. Friday was "Reading Day," a time alloted for students to get work done before finals. Ha.

    It was sunny out, so my friends and I decided to take a walk through the Common and fly kites : ] It was more fun than I remembered! We ended up strolling through Public Gardens, walking all of Newbury Street, and eating ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MC--First, I <3 you and am so proud of all you're accomplishing!!!! You're living proof that I'm not a complete failure : )

    Those random, unexpected walks can be amazing, can't they? Are the lilacs out yet?

    <3 KL

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...