Monday, April 27, 2009

Structure--Good for the Soul or a Necessary Evil?

Perhaps because I work in one of the most structured places in the world--a public school--I find myself wondering whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I've come to the dubious conclusion that, for me, at least, the structure of my work is necessary. I have a set schedule at work; the classes may differ, the collection of characters in any given grouping of kids makes for great variety, but it's a given. A known.

Last week, I did almost nothing. I played with my kids, did some light editing of my finished manuscript and planned some mental outlining for my novel-in-progress, and toiled to get this blog out there. It was a very necessary easy week, but I'm still disgusted with myself for not getting accomplished a fraction of what I should. Why did I suddenly become a focus machine when I was back at work?

So here I am back at work, and I've got grades entered and informal progress reports printed for two of my classes. I managed to achieve this amazing feat (this is sarcasm ... my classes are blessedly small) in about half an hour. I did nothing for work over vacation--no planning, no grading, very little thinking about it (although I adore my job), and I didn't make it in to clean up my desk as I'd planned to do at some point during the week.

So are you a person that needs structure in order to get anything done, or do you thrive when given your own time and task? Many writers that I've met on the great blogosphere set writing goals, keep track of word count, and do amazing things ... all self-initiated. What is wrong with me?

I should probably mention that I'm teaching summer school this year for the sole purpose of keeping myself occupied so I can actually get things done. How pathetic is that?

Oh well ... I'll just jump on the "I have ADHD" bandwagon and smile cutely. That often works : )

9 comments:

  1. I think it depends on the person. For me, as a writer, I need a certain amount of structure to remain productive. Life is hectic, and without planning, writing doesn't get done. I have a daily word count for my WIP and a daily amount of pages I need to revise for a different WIP. I always give myself one day off a week to recharge my batteries, but that's all the structure I need.

    I've tried using outlines, but have always failed miserably at them. I do have a general idea of where the story is going, but hardly more than a scene in advance. But, for me, this works well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very anal retentive, everything has it's place but I work really well under pressure...I tend to procrastinate tasks when it comes to work and then I rock it out. I just work better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're singing my song, sistuh. I've always thought I was a bit on the AD/HD side, but "cure" it with copious amounts of nicotine and caffeine. LOL.

    No...left without rules, structure, deadlines, some form of accountability for my writing goals, you'd probably find me playing Poppit, surfing ebay, etc.

    I miss the structure teaching my little SPED class gave me since I haven't taught this year! It's so true about busy people being able to accomplish more. But you're doing swell.

    Write on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance in all things, right? lol! As if!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think for me, I want the dream bad enough that I can force myself to write, write, write until it actually comes true! So, it involves a LOT of self-discipline for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still figuring out what works for me. I make lists and plans, but don't necessarily stick to them. Then there are times when I work without plan. But overall, I think structure does help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *so jealous*

    I've got to get my grades entered...and with over 100 kids and a stack of essays, I think it will take all night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Windsong--I'm jealous : ) I'm trying to work out an organizational system that works for me in terms of writing ... I seem to have organization in teaching down after six years lol.

    MD--My husband is sort of like that. He likes to have his ducks all in a row, but he leaves thing until the last second sometimes. I call him the absent-minded professor : )

    Angie--Ah, nicotine and caffeine ... more effective than ritalin : ) I've actually sworn off nicotine (took me a long time), but I absolutely COULD NOT FUNCTION without caffeine.

    Tess--Balance ... a beautiful idea, but infinitely hard to pull of in reality : )

    Jody--In terms of writing, my self-discipline goes in cycles. Sometimes I'll be incredibly productive and make setting aside time just for writing a priority, but either I can't stick to it or I get blocked badly. Guess I'm a work in progress ;)

    Wanderer--My mother is a great list-maker, and your comment made me think of her. We are constantly rolling our eyes at her when she starts making a list because it'll end up lost or forgotten (at which point she'll make another list ... oh, boy). I'm sure your far more productive than she is : )

    Beth--I wish you the best, I feel your pain, and that's all I have to say about that : ) Good luck, lady!

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...