Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The (Short) List of Movies that are Better than Books

If you're reading this blog, you've probably inferred that I much prefer books to movies. This is true ... and it is false. I love movies, and a blog post I just read that mentions one of my favorite movies ever, Major League, reminded me of my cinematic adoration.

In that vein, here's a list of cases where I believe the movie is better than the book. It's a short list, but that's because I truly don't believe it happens very often. Your thoughts are welcome, appreciated, and expected (since this tends to be a hot topic) : )

1. The Silence of the Lambs
2. Forrest Gump
3. The Lord of the Rings
4. The Wizard of Oz
5. The Neverending Story

And, of course, there has to be a tie. The book is on my top five. The movie is in my top two.

And that would be ... The Godfather, book by Mario Puzo, film directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and just an experience everyone should have.

10 comments:

  1. Cool list. Oh, and I magically prounounce you a lemon (http://workingmymuse.blogspot.com/2009/04/im-lemon.html). Congratz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragment...I see that you teach...where are you from...thanks again...

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara--I'm from New Hampshire ... close to Boston, close enough to NYC, close to the ocean, close to the mountains ... pretty perfect : )

    And Eric ... you TOTALLY made my day : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi KLo,

    Thanks for stopping by my garden blog the other day and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it.

    You got a cool blog here. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. Forrest Gump was a hard novel to slog through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Travis--I know, right? And then I made the mistake of trying to read the sequel (which really irked me because it followed the movie instead of the book, so I was sooooooooooo confused!). It was one of the few books I've ever started and not finished ("Gump & Co.", not "Forrest Gump", although clearly I didn't really like that either ; ))

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU for #3!!! After the way Peter Jackson handled the movies, the way the books are written is just flat-out irrational.

    I have a controversial entry: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I would put it on this list ONLY by a hair, though, and only the Sorcerer's Stone. The rest of the books were better than the movies (esp. the Prisoner of Azkaban. The more I see that movie, the more I think it sucked).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd put "HP and the SS" in the same category as "The Godfather" but just a smidgen lower. You're right, though ... it's a gem : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. It recently occurred to me that Hosseini's "The Kite Runner" is in the same category as "The Godfather", in my opinion (outstanding book and film adaptation). Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't like The Kite Runner movie much, but the book was decent. Can't judge on The Godfather

    ReplyDelete

Are Minorities Discouraged from Taking Upper-Level Classes?: The Elephant in the Room

As a public school teacher for sixteen years, I sometimes feel like I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen Standards come and go (and despite the brou...