Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The (Short) List of Movies that are Better than Books

If you're reading this blog, you've probably inferred that I much prefer books to movies. This is true ... and it is false. I love movies, and a blog post I just read that mentions one of my favorite movies ever, Major League, reminded me of my cinematic adoration.

In that vein, here's a list of cases where I believe the movie is better than the book. It's a short list, but that's because I truly don't believe it happens very often. Your thoughts are welcome, appreciated, and expected (since this tends to be a hot topic) : )

1. The Silence of the Lambs
2. Forrest Gump
3. The Lord of the Rings
4. The Wizard of Oz
5. The Neverending Story

And, of course, there has to be a tie. The book is on my top five. The movie is in my top two.

And that would be ... The Godfather, book by Mario Puzo, film directed by Francis Ford Coppola, and just an experience everyone should have.